• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Best protein skimmer location?

Hello everyone,
I have two 50G tanks in my system; one to house the (future) octopus and one for water conditioning. In order to minimize escape options I have only the overflow box and the water inlet pipe in the animal tank; my filters, chiller and protein skimmer enter and exit the second (water conditioning) tank. It occurs to me however that it might be better to have the protein skimmer pumping water directly from the animal tank, in case of inking. What do you think?
I really appreciate all the trouble everyone has taken during my previous posts. I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but it seems a waste not to pick your brains, given all the collected expertise available here!
Thanks in advance,
Lene.

There is a thread in the tank section where Thales and Paradox discuss the pros of a recirculating skimmer attached directly to the overflow. It won't handle all the output at once but we are trying this setup on the new tank. Inking is generally not a problem and is cleaned up quickly with any well circulated tank but most of us do a water change if the quantities are extensive.

on my 240G cube i designed it to have 2 drains, one going to a filter sock for a little bit of filtration and the other draining directly into my my skimmer...the design seemed perfect but i got to cycling before i had to tear it down...on my new setup i plan on having the same thing...one drain to a filter sock and the other draining directly to the skimmer, since im going with cuttles i dont have to worry about escape but i recommend that way

mattyice;125052 said:
on my 240G cube i designed it to have 2 drains, one going to a filter sock for a little bit of filtration and the other draining directly into my my skimmer...the design seemed perfect but i got to cycling before i had to tear it down...on my new setup i plan on having the same thing...one drain to a filter sock and the other draining directly to the skimmer, since im going with cuttles i dont have to worry about escape but i recommend that way

We did something similar with some help from Thales and Paradox by joining the two overflows into one then split the outflow so that all the water that is not taken in by the skimmer goes to the filter sock (with a charcoal bag). This allow all the water to filtered in some manner before hitting the sump and returning.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back