• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

Best Nocturnal Octo?

raleighbags

Hatchling
Registered
due to my income, I am looking at getting a pygmy octo. My schedule and sleeping habbits allow me to work well with a nocturnal octo. Given the fact that a strictly nocturnal octo is no problem, is there an active, colorful, inteligent pygmy octopus? If not, what is the closest to those specifications?

Only pygmy you're going to find in the USA most likely will be O. mercatoris but they aren't typically all that active/interactive. Some other members have had good experiences keeping multiples in tanks together though so that is a plus, and they can also be raised from eggs so it is possible to sustain generation after generation until inbreeding becomes an issue. I don't know where to find any currently. If you stick around long enough you might be able to pick up some captive-bred O. chierchia babies.