[Octopus]: Bella-O.briareus

I planned a sneak attack and got some great pictures of my lady.

Attachments

• conv_300682.jpg
    conv_300682.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_300683.jpg
    conv_300683.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 116
Go to Home Depot/Lowes, my cheap tapes have both scales so I am surprised yours doesn't (I keep one in my desk to make the convertions - meters I can approximate in my head but not cm/mm). Yeti has grown a lot this month and no longer looks like a dwarf! Her mantle is about the same size but her arms are Longer. I need to try to get a relaxed length on them but they are at least 11" and she can easily stretch to 18". She has also become more nocturnal of late. I hope that does not mean she is starting to grow eggs. The adult mantle "dent" has just this week become prominent but was visible in October (she is about 2 months older than Bella I think).

SUPRISE!!! Still alive!! I knew you were all wondering....LOL

She continues to be very shy and chooses to show no interest in human contact. I still feed her live shrimp, 12 at a time which lasts about week. When she runs out of shrimp she comes and sits on the glass closest to me and paces back and forth. other than this I never ever ever see her, her den is deep in the live rock where i cant see her at all and she only hunts when I am sleeping, not the most exciting octopus I've had.....:roll:

Onn is JUST starting to show herself a little (I think she has outgrown her interior rock den). She sat and looked at me for about 5 minutes tonight after she ate. She was not in the open but I could see all of her mantle and she clearly saw me. Then she got bored and went into the rock. Fortunately, Margay is out most of the time now. She is still very shy if you open the top but will come to the front of the glass and follow your finger for a bit. SOMETIMES (like tonight) she will accept hand held food and tonight she grabbed Neal's finger. She kept blowing at him to go away but she kept holding his finger in the process :roll:

Captfish Nice thread. I have to say the pics you posted in jan are great. I have never seen that coloring on Tranny "My briareus" I wonder why. I think mine is about the same age as yours at the time of the pics. Does Bella show this coloring A lot of the time? Is it a coloring that happens later in there life? What ever it is Very good looking lady you have. Its seems to be common for them to go on hiatus once in a wile. Tranny will eat lots for a few days then stop for a couple. More pics please

That coloration has being typical of my briaeus that are excited or showing off for the camera.....I'll try to get for pics but this really is the shiest octopus i have ever had, and i very rarely see her....I believe she is about one year old. being that i got her in july of last year and I think she was around two-three months old when i got her.

Oh man I forgot to make Bell's last post!!!!....Better late than never!!

Bella disappeared around mid May. I never found her body. I have since broken down The 126 gallon tank she was in and it was interesting to see the "Bone Yard" that was deep in a cave at the back of the tank. I found it when i took the live rock out of the tank. It is clear that this was a favorite dining spot for several if not all of my octopuses, as it was littered with shell and bone remnants from all sorts of various food items i had tried over the years.

..It may be a few months before I get everything setup again, my goal is to have a few tanks up and running again by Christmas time. I started my third year of college this fall at FAU and courses are finally geared towards my degree! however, that also means that they have become significantly more challenge and time consuming. This semester I spend most of my time either memorizing scientific names of various organisms, bacterias, algae, viruses, plants, fungi and , or I'm busy studying them under a microscope observing their locamotion, feeding and reproduction. Yesterday we were watching Malaria Merozoite attacking red blood cells, and the red blood cells exploding with Malaria Gametocytes, very cool to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back