[Octopus]: Bella-O.briareus

Bella has not made any more significant daytime appearences. But she does stop by my end of the tank to say hi at least once a night usually around 10pm. She has probly grown a little since i got her but not a whole lot...yet

Today Bella has been very social. For the past hour or more she has been on the glass watching me and following my finger around the glass. Ater awhile i gave here a whole live shrimp on a skewer which she happily accepted and then crawled back to her den to eat.

Attachments

• conv_300219.jpg
    conv_300219.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_300220.jpg
    conv_300220.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
Still not sure about this one. In addition to the slow growth the mantle and eyes look odd for O. briareus and appear to be the the same reservations I have for Yeti (the arms are particularly long as well).

Yeti knows feeding time :biggrin2: We drove to Macon to pickup some crabs my son collected in Savannah and came home late for feeding time. When I walked by Yeti's tank she came out and extended an arm that followed me through the room.

Bella is Great!! she has become pretty social and can be seen regularly from 7-12pm every night. She seems to like hanging on the glass and observing the human activity in the room. So far she mostly eats live shrimp, on average about one a night. sometimes two if and easy kill presents itself. I placed 4 small bluecrabs in the tank which I think maybe slightly to big, but im curious to see if she hunts them, I know she'll grow large enough eventually to handle them no problem. Been lazy with camera lately I'll try and get some shots tonight.

:hmm: Not sure whats up. If I had to guess, this octopus is full grown and has gone into hiding. The last sighting was about a week ago and there are 8 shrimp in the tank that have gone untouched. I noticed she had a lumpy mantle like we see in the older females. This pretty pretty much eliminates Braireus as the species, being the tiny size of this octopus, still larger than a dwarf species. Mantle I would compare to the size of an adult aculeatus. Hopeful she is still alive and possible with a eggs, but the tank has so many places i cant see that i have no idea. I never did find the den of this octo.

:roflmao: She's Back!! Just as i pretty much gave up hope she came out grabbed a shrimp ate a little in front of me and then retreated. She seemed very scared of me and pretty jumpy, but other than that she seemed like her old self!! Just goes no show you never know with these little buggers. She looked like she had grown quite a bit. my guess would be that her arms were between 6" and 7"

....shes back, i'll try to get a photo but all i have is my iphone.

Yeti's mantle has the mid-life crease now and she has been with me long enough to expect it but she is still tiny with loooong arms. We only see her around supper time but she makes it clear she is expecting supper and does not see at all afraid. She has decided that part of the feeding ritual is to reach up and hold onto the feeding hand. She doesn't pull and she will allow you to pet her at this time. I have seen her out a little around mid-night and she will play with my fingers on the glass for a few minutes. I think she has to sleep a LOT. Her vision is the worst yet of the briareus I have kept and may have something to do with her holding the hand that feeds her and not being afraid while being served.

Yikes I haven't posted in forever!! Sorry.

Bella is doing great. She is growing quite a lot, I'll try to get an official measurement. Her diet at this point is 90% live shrimp and 10% live "bait crabs" just small 1.5" to 2" baby blue crabs. I give her a dozen live shrimp in the tank and they seem to last right about 10-12 days so shes eating about one shrimp a day. I also stop and pick up a crab every now and then but those a feed randomly one in the tank at a time, I tried three or four at time in the beginning but the crabs fought and killed each other and were eaten by the shrimp.

Bella is pretty anti-social. Only time she comes over to me is when she has eaten all her shrimp and begs for more. I have hand fed her a few times just grabbing one of the shrimp and putting it on a bamboo skewer in hopes of getting her to be more social but thus far it has not worked. When the current stock of shrimp runs out i may switch to only hand feeding. She is large enough that she should be pretty social at this point.

Mine thinks it is related to Penn (at 1/4 the size). Yeti has finally grown and her arms are quite long but she insists she has to have the hand that feeds her along with her meal on a nightly basis. She is particularly "sticky" when she knows you are trying to free yourself. When I clean the tank, I ignore the "attention" and she give up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back