Belemnites

While living in Wyoming, our college class went out in a fieldtrip with a geologist last fall.
Although I am completely ignorant of the subject, I did manage to find several “belemnites”, which, as I appreciate them, are bullet-shaped petrified remnants of a prehistoric squid which actually had an internal skeleton. About an inch long, as I recall.
Any information on these?

While living in Wyoming, our college class went out in a fieldtrip with a geologist last fall.
Although I am completely ignorant of the subject, I did manage to find several “belemnites”, which, as I appreciate them, are bullet-shaped petrified remnants of a prehistoric squid which actually had an internal skeleton. About an inch long, as I recall.
Any information on these?
These were found on the surface, at about 6000 feet elevation, less than 20 miles from the base of the Wind River Range of the Rockies, and about an equal distance from South Pass, just across the road from the Oregon/Mormon/Pony Express trails in Fremont County.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back