• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Been gone a while! I got a surprise.

Stevie

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hello again everyone. I have been on the site foor a while, then for some reason just lost touch. After going through 2 octopuses, I had tried cuttles for a long while, hatching them from eggs. I work at a LFS. For my birthday the owner ordered me a new pet. He ordered me a zebra, assuming that there was no way a mimic, or wunderpus would be $40 wholesale.

Well it is. I have a wunderpus. The bad news is that I really was not expecting that.

The good news is that it has all of its tentacles, and is definately a male. He seems healthy, and is eating. In more good news, I can bring home anything I have needed to take care of it.

I have miracle mud for most of the substrate, and am feeding shrimp, and emerald crabs for now. Any other help on the species?

mail.jpg

Is this Brooke? I was going to respond to your email, but this is better. :biggrin2:

Sounds like you have everything under control. Keep it feeding and we'll see what happens.

Thales, have you notices any vision impairment with this species? It seems that they are possibly less interactive because the vision is not so good. I can drop in 3 shrimp and he doesn't seem to notice, but if I touch the shrimp to a tentacle he quickly grabs and eats.

Stevie;142192 said:
Thales, have you notices any vision impairment with this species? It seems that they are possibly less interactive because the vision is not so good. I can drop in 3 shrimp and he doesn't seem to notice, but if I touch the shrimp to a tentacle he quickly grabs and eats.

Could be. However, one I had that saw food items from across the tank and came over to get them. The others were more like you describe most of the time. Try not feeding him for a few days and see what happens.

So using more miracle mud, There is good news, and bad news. The good news is that He has finally dug himself a nice sized home. The bad news is that he is out and "playing" quite a bit less! But definitely still eating, and seems healthy. I also found a good home for the store octopus :smile:. I was refusing to sell it until A lovely woman who had previous experience with cuttlefish babies inquired. She got an awesome pygmy, and he got an awesome home!

Just wanted to update, My octo is still going strong! Hiding a little more, but all is well! Water test, and water change tomorrow... I will say that what others have said about them is true, many other octos have better personalities. He does not interact as much!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back