Beans is here!!!!!!

I recently ordered the octopus from live aquaria. I ordered the one from the indo-pacific. I am almost sure he/she is an aculeatus. I got one pic of him/her peeking at me. Also pic of beans acclimating. How big do these guys mantle get? The bag came triple bagged. They where the biggest bags i have ever seen. Beans was very courious in acclimation he/she reached out and toughed me.

Attachments

• conv_303647.jpg
    conv_303647.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_303648.jpg
    conv_303648.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
  • conv_303649.jpg
    conv_303649.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_303650.jpg
    conv_303650.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
I havent gotten a good look at his/hers mantle yet, but i am worried because i think his/hers mantle is about 2 in!:evil: I still havent gotten a good look at him/her yet to tell though. How big do there mantles get a full grown?

Well last night beans ate a cracked open clam.:shock: I guess he/she was really hungry because he was in transit for about 2 days.

I will try and get more pic when he/she comes out.

He/She has now dug a hole behind this huge rock. Where i think might be his/her den.

I got some Harlequin Serpent Starfish. Will beans eat them? I saw one go into his den and i havent seen him again.:hmm:

It is very unusual for an octopus to eat a starfish, But I think it has happened. The reason he is probably in his den is to clean up his mess when he is done eating.

:welcome: Beans!

As I mentioned, Live Aquaria packs all the animals with extreme care. The age of the octopuses (and especially the cuttles) and species identification have been the only known concerns. The best way you can get an idea on current health (and to some extent how much time you will have with Beans) is to watch for a full range of color and pattern changing. Near the natural end, this will be greatly diminished. At two inched (often over guessed) she is certainly an adult but sizes can vary considerably in all octopuses. I have found it best not to worry too much about it (my journals make a liar out of me though) and make the most out of the experience.

You do not have to worry about the serpent and the octo (or visa-versa). The harlequin is probably one of the most reculsive but will learn feeding time (especially if you are consistent) and will come out (or at least be partially visible) to look for food at that time. With the mercatoris (dwarf), it was easier to locate them in the 45 by finding the serpents as they were rarely far from the dens. The funniest interaction I have seen with the serpents was with one of my tank raised females. After being released from the her net (at about 4 months) she immediately found the barnacles where she was born and took up residence. The only time I ever saw her leave it was to slide down to a lower shell, allowing the ever present serpent to crawl in, clean the shell and leave. As soon as the maid finished the house work, she returned to her home.

It is good sign that she/he came out so soon after making a den. As I said, size is not a good indicator of time left so stop worrying about the clock (you can't change it, Beans is now in your care) and start observing interesting things like trying to determine if Beans is male or female and getting him/her to accept you. Tomorrow, you might try offering a small piece of shrimp on a stick. Pick a feeding place and offer food there evey day. If Beans does not come for it be sure there is other food but only offer by hand/stick in one spot and at the same time every day. I usually wait a week or two to try this but if Beans is already coming out, it is worth a try now (and will give YOU something to do besides fret. DON'T poke the stick (you can wiggle it a little) at him/her and DON'T chase him/her with it.

I made contact again. When i fed beans i dropped a cracked open a clam in front of his/her den. When beans grabbed it i put my whole hand by the den and he/she grabbed my whole hand with 2 tentacles. Beans still hasnt fully come out yet for me to tell if male or female.

Beans came out and watched me!!!!:biggrin2: He/She came out for about 5 mins and just sat and watched me and started digging another cave in front.:confused: Still cant tell if it is male or female. What is the best way to tell?(enlarged sucker or curled tentacle)

Attachments

• conv_294425.jpg
    conv_294425.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 80
  • conv_294426.jpg
    conv_294426.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
  • conv_294427.jpg
    conv_294427.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back