Basic reference books

I have ordered several books, seemingly for general audiences, but wonder if there are standard reference books for novices interested in behavior, morphology, etc.
At this point, I’m not interested in raising/keeping them—just want a good grounding in cephalopod knowledge.
Any suggestions?

By the way, the books I have on hand are:
* The 1973 Cousteau Book, which I read 45 years ago
* Montgomery The Soul of an Octopus, which I am just finishing

Yet to read:
* Godfrey-Smith Other Minds
* Courage Octopus! The Most Mysterious Creature in the Sea
* Mather, et al. Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate

Last edited:
Sadly, Normans's Cephalopods World Guide is out of print. All of us wish it would be updated but it does not appear to be happening. I do suggest looking with a general Google scan from time to time to locate one for something reasonable. The existing book is a must have if you are going to try to identify an octopus or find a short description and basic biologic facts of known animals but more animals have been described since 2003.

Unfortunately, it is not the kind of book you read front to back and are done with. It is a reference book that is useful for identifying octopuses (with some squid images and descriptions). Definitely no hurry to purchase but worth keeping an eye out for from time to time.

hmm, well if you visit Amazon through this link, then browse and purchase from there, I believe I get credit. Whenever I post a link to Amazon, I use my tag, so if you get to Amazon via TONMO, it should work.
Tony,
If that is the link which gives TONMO a small donation, I’m already using it to support a homeless charity I worked with in Wyoming. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back