• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Back Again!

cr3w66

Cuttlefish
Registered
Well, after a 2 yr hiatus of being octo-free, I've got myself another little friend. He's a briareus, mantle about 1 1/2, so not a baby, but hopefully not too old. I haven't named him/her yet - I tend to wait a few days to see if he'll make it.... sad, I know.

Anyway, after drip acclimating him and releasing him into the tank he stuck himself on the back wall, up high, right in full view. He stayed there for at least 5-6 hrs, breathing very, very heavy. I was sure he wouldn't pull the night... But when I got in the morning he was alive and breathing just a bit heavy (probably just stressed from seeing me). He was hiding behind a rock, but did peek out when I started moving a few mushrooms on the other side of the tank. S/he was a good brown color, not white, and changed colors if I moved to quickly - I took to be all good signs. As the day progressed s/he came out a bit more as he was definitely curious in me (& my cats). During the evening he came out more and was exploring the tank and rock structures.

Day 2 - s/he's hiding behind a different rock this morning, and pulled a small pvc pipe I put in there for him to the corner s/he's sitting in. S/he hasn't come out at all to investigate me....

After all that, here's my question: I put 2 hermit crabs in the tank on day 1, s/he hasn't touched a one. I've offered a piece of thawed shrimp on a stick (twice), but s/he just pushes it away or pulls away from it. How long does it usually take for them eat? and how long is too long?

Sorry for the book here! I just want to know when I should start worrying.
Thanks!

Some octopus prefer live food. You can try live shore shrimp, fiddlers, snails. You could also try a variety of items from the seafood section of the grocery store. Clams, mussels or scallops would be other items to offer. Good luck, it may just be that your new one is not ready to eat yet.

Aquaculturestore.com has a good selection of live food.

Yeah, I know most prefer live food - which I why I put the 2 hermits in there... I just figured I try the frozen.

I did just remember that I had a big snail (not sure what species - but shell is about 2in) in there. He's been in there for a while and I totally forgot he was in there... The octo may have actually eaten him; I can see the shell sitting in the back behind some rocks, but can't tell if the snail is still in it or not, and don't want to disturb the octo quite yet by sticking my hands down there. I would hate to see the snail go, but would be happier to know my new friend is eating!
Thanks for the reply.

Animal Mother;126054 said:
Try a variety of live foods, sometimes they don't pay any attention to hermits. Fiddler crabs and shore shrimp.

Well, I already ordered some fiddlers, but they won't be here until next week.
I thought maybe the hermits weren't moving enough to be 'seen' by the octo. So today I went out and actually found a place that had fiddler crabs (which I had to pay waaaay too much for!!)
When I got home, I dropped one in the tank, and before it even hit the bottom, the octo had snatched it up and taken it behind a rock!:sink: I'm so glad he's finally eaten - he probably is too!
Thanks for everything!

Where did you order your fiddlers from? I have tried 2 places with no success so far. I've been told to try Sachs Aquaculture. Do you have a different supplier.

jellyman;126058 said:
Where did you order your fiddlers from? I have tried 2 places with no success so far. I've been told to try Sachs Aquaculture. Do you have a different supplier.

No, I ordered from Sachs as well - can't beat free shipping. And although I've had their site bookmarked for quite some time, this is the first time I've actually ordered from them. I didn't really look to see if anywhere else carried them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back