• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Baby octopus?

Depends on the species. Some lay large eggs which hatch as tiny but fully developed octopuses and people have some success with those. Some lay small eggs and so far those babies have never been successfully raised, at least that's documented.

Any idea what species? Briareus, Bimac, and some dwarves lay large eggs. Seems most other species lay small ones.

Animal Mother;111089 said:
Depends on the species. Some lay large eggs which hatch as tiny but fully developed octopuses and people have some success with those. Some lay small eggs and so far those babies have never been successfully raised, at least that's documented.

Any idea what species? Briareus, Bimac, and some dwarves lay large eggs. Seems most other species lay small ones.

I think small-egged ones have been raised in laboratory environment, but it's still practically impossible for non-professionals.

I think the food is part of it, but also their planktonic lifestyle and tiny size lead to them being sucked into the filtration and so forth. Also cannibalism, since in the wild they spread out to a much wider area. There may be other reasons, too; the experience of a typical tonmoer who has small-egged octos hatch in their tank is that they're swimming about for under a day and then they're all gone, but I don't know that anyone's really figured out why...

Another problem that happens occasionally is that the mother dies about the time they hatch, and her death causes some water quality problems. The babies seem even more sensitive to water quality than adults, so that may be part of it as well.

There are probably other issues that some of the research folks know about, those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back