baby octo or wacky wall walker?

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
This little one was at my LFS the day I picked up some "squid eggs" to ship to another member. My 55 gal has been waiting for a new resident since Artemis died :sagrin:. Of course, all they could tell me was that it's from the Pacific. For a size reference, the toy blocks are 2cm cubes. It is nocturnal but will come out as early as 9:30 in the evening and stay out until 8 am or so. It is mottled red and brown, with what seems like some lighter spots but not a lot of iridescence. All the arms are in regular proportions, not like the long front armed macropus we've seen lately. It is entirely possible it's too tiny to have many distinguishing characteristics...

Attachments

• conv_303555.jpg
    conv_303555.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 166
  • conv_303556.jpg
    conv_303556.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 171
  • conv_303557.jpg
    conv_303557.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 153
that's awesome

that's so cool seeing your octopus climbing around make's you appreciate them just that much more seeing them doing there daily routine up close and personal. Great picture's also.

lance

:spongebo:

Upvote 0
No help on ID here but glad you are pouring over the book I so strongly recommended.:biggrin2:

Your reference blocks do seem to show the right proportions and size for a bocki (full grown I'm afraid). Have you seen the underside to see if the referenced black spots are visible?

Upvote 0
YES, unfortunately... One of the things I noticed still in the bag was that there are black spots on the underside of the mantle- they looked so much like immature chromataphores of the newly hatched aculeatus I've had.

I say "unfortunately" because I agree with you D that if this one is a boki then it is fully grown. I was so hoping for a baby something... The way my luck goes in 2 more weeks she'll be brooding!:banghead:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back