• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Baby Cuttlefish behevior?

shipposhack;110893 said:
My experience with priority mail shipping and mysids is poor. 3/5 times that I order they arrive dead. I get stryo and a heatpack but they still don't do well. My guess is that it's the cold weather here. You also should get them out of the bag right when you get them because I have had a batch of shore shrimp that were fine upon arrival die 5 hours later because of the NO3 in the bag. I opened up the bag and floated it when I got them so they would have O2 and when I came home they were dead :/.

Animals die because the toxicity of the ammonia is held in check by the lower pH in the bag due to the co2 built up in the bag during transport. Once you open the bag and release the co2 the ammonia becomes rapidly toxic. Float the back to equalize the temp's but don't open it till you are ready to get them into their holding tank.

Utah shipping is hard. I lost a batch in transit due to the cold recently too.

Thanks for the info Thales! Next time if I don't have time to put the shrimp away I won't open up the bag. The cold weather is one of the reasons I am not selling my cuttles for another month. I think they would be fine in the care of someone else right now, but I want to wait until spring when the temperatures are closer to moderate than extreme cold.

On a side note Thales- I heard that you and Adam Blundell are in the process of writing an article about cuttle care. Do you have any info you can disclose about it yet >.>?

Are we? :biggrin2: We were just talking about possibly writing something together, but thats where we stopped. I hope it happens, cause it sounds like fun! I am very much looking forward to meeting him at the midwest frag fest. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back