Augustus - O. Vulgaris

Getting more and more comfortable - I suspect his reticence was largely based on the tank parameters, as it wasnt a very established tank. He actually swam around a bit last night - not crawled!

My DSLR doesn't take video. My GoPro does, though it'd be tough to get into Augustus's tank with it. Here's some video of feeding my sharks though!

More Augustus pics!

Attachments

• conv_297276.jpg
    conv_297276.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_297277.jpg
    conv_297277.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112
  • conv_297278.jpg
    conv_297278.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
So USPS f'ed up and lost a shipment of crabs I had coming in, and Augustus isn't yet a huge fan of shrimp, so I fed him what else I had on hand - some squid. He greedily chowed down on it - any chance it's bad for him?

Squid is just fine. I have thought about trying it and Neal mentioned that we probably can get fresher squid than shrimp so I may pick some up tomorrow since Monty is refusing table shrimp and needs at least one other food besides the fiddlers. The only drawback that I am aware of does not apply to most situations but it seems when fed to cuttles they find other cuttles taste a lot like squid. Since we rarely keep octos together (for both tank sizing and known in situ cannibalistic behavior) it should be a good food source.

I had the same problem with the USPS on my shipment before last. Fortunately, even after 4 days in shipment, the cooler weather allowed them to survive and continue to survive normally (I have experienced them dieing off faster if they are exposed too much heat or survive delayed shipping)

Just a quick update - sorry I haven't been more active. Been busy trying to keep the fish (and myself) warm with this record cold snap. Augustus has become a bit more reticent during twilight hours, but still eating and growing. I now feed him a few fiddlers, plus some squid everyday. He seems to really like the squid - only problem with squid is that it wreaks HAVOC on protein skimmers.

Jabba954;167549 said:
He seems to really like the squid - only problem with squid is that it wreaks HAVOC on protein skimmers.

Preaching to the choir! LOL. When I feed clams its the same way. I normally sit there while Isis is eating so that I can suck up the little floating bits with a turkey baster other wise its a mess.

Mine wouldn't take the squid. It appears that Monty won't take anything that does not have a shell. It does not matter if it is alive or dead but it must have a shell :roll:

New update - I'll post pics tonight. Augustus is becoming more and more active during daylight. He's also eating like a pig - he particularly likes damsels, which is AWESOME to watch him hunt them. He's about 2' tip to tip now, and moving into the 100 gallon tank this weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back