Augustus - O. Vulgaris

Wow! I am so excited :biggrin2: another O. vulgaris.
I need to get online more often, been very crazy here. Diablo never ate hermits as far as I can tell but absolutely loves live crabs. His main diet are frozen shrimps but relishes the occasional scallop, never tried any type of fish. I have never hand fed, if you have read my journal I use floating plastic childerens squirty toys with zip ties. Feeding sticks are useless, he crawls out of the tank, squirts, splashes then I have to let go. It is very difficult to retrive later on, just not practicle. There is a toothbrush (he stole from me) wedged in his den, been there for weeks, every time I try to grab it he, he grabs it, impossible! Diablo likes floating toys opposed to sinking ones. He plays with them all the time. Occasionally he will give one a good squeeze and it fills with water, and sinks, then he ignores it. He has grown strong. The other day he smashed his ping pong ball, little stinker.
As time has gone on, Diablo is out more in the daytime than night. Hopefully yours will follow suit. Now he is out begging for food around 8/9am. I see him out throughout the day. He is out after lights off while we are up, looking for attention or being nosey. After we retire, he is not out much at all. I know because we installed motion activated security cameras. I have one on his tank, his movements are all recorded, very cool. :biggrin2:

I wanted to add, since I missed all the early posts...Horns were the first thing I noticed that were different from O. briareus. I found it funny you noticed them too. We thought it was so cool, my son thought it made him look like a devil and that is where the name came from.

After we retire, he is not out much at all. I know because we installed motion activated security cameras. I have one on his tank, his movements are all recorded, very cool.

Next you will be connecting it to a live webcam so the kids can show their friends at school :biggrin2:

Very cool. He's been out a bit more every evening, and seems ok with the feeding stick so far - he's quite strong, but I'm still stronger - lol! He also hasn't seemed interested in toys yet - I'm going to try and rig up a feeding apparatus like yours this weekend.

A word or warning :biggrin2:. We tried using a zip tie placed through holes in our lid with SueNami (O. briareus). He wanted the zip tie and became insistent one night and totally rearranged the live rock trying to pull the tie into the tank so FLOATING is the way to go, no fixed attachments.

Good to know! He's already totally rearranged the rockwork - he's sort of pulled it down on top of himself to create a couple of heavily fortified dens...

More success today! Augustus came out of his den when I came home today, with the lights on (though he hid under the rock outcropping). Then he took another silverside off of a stick. The fidlers arrived just as I was typing this, and as soon as they hit the water, he took two of them. These pics are from just after serving him the fish - coloration sort of looks like Penelope, with the web pattern.

Attachments

• conv_297181.jpg
    conv_297181.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 82
  • conv_297182.jpg
    conv_297182.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_297183.jpg
    conv_297183.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 104
Wow thats awesome. His coloring is beautiful. Maybe in a year or so I will be able to talk my husband into a 200 gallon so I can actually keep one of these guys. What size tank is he in right now? Its really hard to get a grasp of the sizes in the photos.

Not a lot to update - since I've been feeding him retarded fiddler crabs (80% run RIGHT into his den, so he doesn't need to hunt), he hasn't been out much.

During a feeding event I made a comment that I think O.briareus are the dumb blondes (beautiful but not with everything functioning in the attic) of the octopus world and a reply asked if I thought crabs were the smarter. My answer was no, because the crabs run into the octopuses den.

Hehe - since I didn't feed him crabs yesterday, just a shrimp tail, he was out hunting last night - he even came out and touched my hand and tugged for a minute. Didn't try to pull me down, or try to come up - just sort of felt my hand. VERY cool. I'll take more pics this wkd, and hopefully video.

Definitely getting more and more interactive! I've successfully hand fed him a few times now - what's really cool is that he opens up his arms now and just accepts the crab (sorta looks like a catcher's mitt) - he doesn't grab me at all. He's still not particularly interested in toys - he'll grab things and then let 'em go after a minute.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back