Atlantic Octopus

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I found an lfs near me that sells octopuses, but im not exactly sure what type it is. When i asked, the guy said "it's just a normal Atlantic Octopus." I haven't actually been able to see it in person but he says it's about 3 inches at the moment. I'll include a picture they have on their website, maybe you can help me id it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• conv_303142.jpg
    conv_303142.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 99
That's a small photo - I went to the site, and they talked about "assorted octopuses", so what you see in the pics is not necessarily what you get. You could email them and ask. They may not know one species from another.

If you live in southern Florida, you ought to be near some of the suppliers. It might be worth finding out who they are (from the web) and contacting them.

Nancy

Upvote 0
i called and all the info they gave me i had already stated, unfortunately they didnt have a bigger pic but i plan on going to see the octopuses in person on friday, can anyone give me any features that would give away whether it's a certain type of octo over another?
I know what a briareus would look like, and i understand that mercs have relatively large eyes in proportion to their body, but how would i be able to tell between vulgaris and filosus? My greatest fear is ending up with a vulgaris in a 55 gal. tank since i wont have the money to upgrade...
Anything would help..

Upvote 0
Take a good look at Fluffy - notice the bulging eyes, the long arms, and the (sometimes) reddish color on the mantle but white color on the legs - so that would be a briareus.

If they're small, it's going to be hard to tell.

Anybody else have some suggestions?

Nancy

Upvote 0
My guess, if it is a common atlantic octo, is Vulgaris. I've looked at their site before and wondered what octo they sell, it looks kinda cute. Filosus have eyespots, so if you see some (and they were collected from the Atlantic, get the country/sea if you can) could be a Filosus. Mercatoris would be really small; I doubt they would be selling that as a regular-sized octopus, but it's possible.

Upvote 0
my lfs had a octo for sale that looks very similar to that picture, they called it a "royal octo"
anyways, it had the white spots on its arms, and one on the very back point of the mantal..
i really want to get it but i dont have a tank for him right now!

Upvote 0
hahah thats really funny... i wonder who told them that it wat a normal atlantic octopus... just because that is the same answer i got about mine. first they said he was a common atlantic pygmy octopus... i told them how big he is and that he comes out when the lights are on and then they said "well its just a regular atlantic octopus" hahaha
and im still trying to figure out what mine is.... the only thing they could tell me is that he came from the florida keys.

Upvote 0
yea i was pretty surprised at how little they know about their own livestock, if yours is from the keys theres a chance its a briareus since those are very common down there..

Upvote 0
bobby a.;103289 said:
hahah thats really funny... i wonder who told them that it wat a normal atlantic octopus... just because that is the same answer i got about mine. first they said he was a common atlantic pygmy octopus... i told them how big he is and that he comes out when the lights are on and then they said "well its just a regular atlantic octopus" hahaha
and im still trying to figure out what mine is.... the only thing they could tell me is that he came from the florida keys.

Then it's a common Atlantic Pygmy Octopus Mercatoris. Or maybe a Common Atlantic Octopus Briareus? Or maybe.... geez. I would bet on one of those two though since it's from the Keys.

You should take a few pictures of various octopus species that are frequently found in the Atlantic Ocean and ask them to identify which "Common Atlantic Octopus" it is. Maybe it would jolt some inspiration for them to learn more about the creatures they're dealing.

Upvote 0
well i have actually posted three pictures of mine in the next thread down... if anyone here hasnt already looked at them please go look and see if you can help...

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back