At last, some good news re: commercial whaling

Phil said:
A concern I have is that if there is a return to whaling at sustainable levels, who polices this while the vessel is at sea? I can't imagine that every whaling vessel would have IWC observers onboard

No need to police at sea - simple DNA tests will identify species & individuals

But with factory ships where whales are already processed by the time they get back to port, it could mean a lot of DNA tests in order to test every piece of whale flesh. Could end up being expensive.

A sad, sad day in SpiceWorld...

myopsida said:
No need to police at sea - simple DNA tests will identify species & individuals

So who is to guarantee that every specimen caught will have a DNA test? If a whaling vessel harpoons and kills a species not on the target list, either deliberately or inadvertently, why would they turn genetic results over if they identify it as rendering them potentially liable to prosecution? Unless there is an independent control check onboard or inspectorate team waiting at port with full access to the catch, DNA testing is meaningless, and liable to bias. Notwithstanding this, a catch of an illegal non-target species is liable to be simply dumped at sea.

Who would have discretion over testing, the captain? Unless applied absolutely to 100% of catches, DNA testing does not even remotely equate to policing, and I can't imagine that anything but a small percentage will actually be tested by the IWC.

Ok, after re-reading the news release I have to ask: why would there even be a vote on such a subject? I know that this vote could really help Japan and is a big defeat, but it seems like an odd thing to have to vote on each year for the last few decades. Creation of a pro-whaling declaration that is likely largely false or at the very least is not strongly based on science (as this information is just not known)?!?!?! Who thought up that stunned idea. Maybe thats just me.

Cheers

Is there anything that we, the average person not involved in the policies, the politics, or the industry, can do some to stop this killing of these endangered whales (specifically the resumption of whaling humpbacks before it even starts. I think if that were possible it would be easier than trying to stop them once the start again.)?

I can't think of anything that would really mean something to the Japanese. As in, I don't think they're going to give a hoot if we collect 1000 or 10 000 internet signatures. They don't seem to care that the whale flesh is poisonous with mercury and other toxins, that apparently most of their population isn't pro-whaling, and least of all that these whales are endangered! (By the way, this information has been published in peer-reviewed science journals) I mean even scientific studies don't persuade them, and we are certainly not capable of something on that stature. Again, just something I want people to think about, brainstorm.

Cheers...

Ok, I was just reviewing the membership list for the IWC on their website and my jaw dropped! Canada doesn't have a representative anymore! I am very, very disappointed with my country right, especially considering that we still participate in aboriginal whaling. All I can find on the net is that we were a member, but aren't any longer. Does anyone know anything more or can point me in the right direction?

Furthering the above point, does anymore know what steps are necessary to get another representative? Is it a member of government that goes to the annual meeting or a distinguished scientist? I get the idea it is the former given the state of affairs. I guess if its a politician then I could start by writing to the Environmental Affairs minister or Fisheries minister requesting we be represented (in more words then that of course). Any more ideas?

One final point: the opening post in this thread links to an article (still up for those wishing to refresh themselves) that states that CITES rejected Japans request for downgrading minke whales to Appendix II, which would allow for controlled trade of the species. They are currently list on Appendix I. "Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances." - directly from their website. Minke, humpback, and fin whales are all on the Appendix I list, so doesn't this mean that Japan cannot hunt any of them? Or does CITES only deal with trade, imports and exports. The more I think about it the more I think that that is the case, and since Japan isn't trading the whale meat, CITES has no control. :evil:

Ok, I apologize if I have talked on too long about something not exactly related to TONMO. I just don't have any other place to ask these questions right now. Hope you can help!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back