• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Assorted octopus?

Dwight

Blue Ring
Registered
hi, I have been looking around at online fish stores like live aquaria and other. When I searched for octopus, they either say assorted or brown octopus. Does that mean you can get literally any species of octopus or a species from a certain region? These pet stores do not know what type of species they have. I was wondering if someone could possibly narrow down the possible species you could get from purchasing an assorted or brown octopus. Thanks

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Here is a compilation of links that I recommend new octopus keepers to read. The link entitled Box of Chocolates addresses the species that are commonly available and the lack of knowledge by a vendor as to what species they have available. Some vendors (but very few) are willing to send photographs that can be helpful. Photos posted in listings are rarely of the animals available. Unfortunately, most vendors do not even have information on the actual origination.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak