• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aspiring Octo Tank

Hmm... If you do decide to get cuttlefish, 1.5 month babies are a great way to get started. For a first-time ceph-keeper, they are easier than eggs. They are already eating bigger food (rather than mysids or amphipods :bugout:) and they are large enough for you to be able to see them eat. They will be getting too large for a breeder soon. Good luck. I was considering upgrading to a 92 gallon corner tank, but I may reconsider since you are having trouble fitting things under your tank...

Well, keep in mind that a 92 gallon corner is a totally different tank than what I have. First, the stand is commercially available, mine is not. My tank is so odd shaped that no one makes a stand for it. I bought the tank on Craigslist and planned on building a stand for it. A friend who I had enlisted to help me asked someone he works with for his help in cutting the wood and it turned out the guy had an empty stand for the exact same tank and he gave it to me. Otherwise, I would have gotten the 54 gallon version of the tank you are considering. I have seen those tanks in person and they have a lot of room underneath. Mine is built - I kid you not - like a 3-ply stand with the shell being almost 5 inches thick! So I cant put anything in there. Check out this guy's tank, so you can get an idea of what you can do ina 92 corner: Finally, 92 Gallon Corner Tank Build (Pic Heavy) - Reef Central Online Community

Aly

OK, update: the tank cracked on me as I was doing the last and final rinse. I was so upset! But then I went on craigslist and found an even better tank that fits the corner of the room like a glove! I picked it up yesterday and set it all up last night. The best part about this is that this tank was already cycled and has been running empty (no fish, only live sand) for 6 months. I checked with the tank's previous owner and NO copper was ever used, but is there a way to check that?

Anyways, I transferred 80% of the water it had (and yes, my car is soaking wet!), so I plan on letting it sit for a couple of weeks until I come back from vacation to let everythig settle back down. So now I am actively searching for an octopus. I was hoping for a Hummenlicki (sp?) or an Aculeatus. Anyone know where can I get one? There's one available now at saltwaterfish.com but I am not sure of the species, although I read somewhere either here or on RC that most octos coming from saltwaterfish.com have been Hummenlicki. Can anyone verify that?

I called saltwaterfish.com and they told me it was a Caribbean Octopus from Haiti. I googled that and got Octopus Briareus. Would anyone recommend for or against this species?

briareus is a species a lot of folks here have kept, and they have a good reputation. Animal Mother's Kalypso journal can give you an idea of what they're like. They seem to need a larger tank than some species, but it sounded like you were going for a 92gal, which should be more than enough.

I'm probably out of my league here, but I think some of the tank experts around have suggested that there ought to be a fairly long wait between moving a tank and adding an octopus, as it's likely to have a "mini cycle." I'm not sure how long folks would recommend monitoring the water chemistry before adding an octo, so I hope others will chime in with more info here.

Monty - My tank is not a 92 gallon. I was giving cuttlegirl advice on a 92 gallon. My tank is a 50 gallon corner tank.

So, if I transferred the tank, with salt water and live sand that was previously established for 6 months, and set it right up (within an hour of taking down) can I introduce an octo in about 2 weeks or do I need to wait?

Thanks for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back