[Article]: Tusoteuthis and the Cretaceous Giant Squids

Thanks all!

dwhatley;134644 said:
Wonderful! Now you need to read the book to find out what he referenced (and let us know)!

The book, "Evolution of the Shell of Cephalopoda" is a hardback stunner and is hot off the press. It is 448 pages long and has over 200 line drawings. In it Vyacheslav has drawn together his thesis on the evolution of the shell in the coleoida based on over twenty-five years of research. He has assembled a new lineage of coleoid evolution utilising both living and fossil taxa.

If I have interpreted the diagrams correctly Vyacheslav has placed Tusoteuthis in the sepiolid stem as opposed to the vampyromorphs so it looks as if I've rewriting to do on two articles now. Of course Tusoteuthis is just one fossil amongst the many, many coleoids analysed, but I have the feeling that what Vyacheslav has proposed is quite radical.

A warning to potential buyers, the book is written in Russian though English chapter summaries and conclusions are provided. All the figures are annotated in English too. Mind you, even if it were completely written in English it would have been way over my head!

Attachments

• conv_294046.jpg
    conv_294046.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 81
  • conv_294047.jpg
    conv_294047.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 80

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back