• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Arthur - Aculeatus, my first octopus

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
He seems to be a bit more active than he was a week ago, the color is sometimes the same and sometimes more brownish. BUT he still barely eats, if anything at all. Any ideas? He was hanging on the front glass today so I could see in between his arms and I couldn't see any beak. Could it be possible that he is hurt there or is it just that he is so small that I can't see it? Either way, how can I make him eat? I've been giving him pieces of scampi which is what he got at the LFS before I bought him

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The beak will not be visible unless he is using or about to use it. Sometimes you can just see the pointed tip when they are pressed against the glass. In addition to live food (fiddler crabs are the most accepted and I recommend trying them first) you can try offering a clam on the half shell, a small piece of fresh fish (try to avoid any that has color added), a fresh blue crab claw (we get ours from the Asian markets when they have live blue crab) or even a scallop. Hermit crabs are sometimes accepted as food but I have not had success using them.

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
I haven't tried live food as I have no idea how to obtain some. If anyone knows how to get live food in Bergen, Norway please let me know

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Phosphate and Nitrate are not the major concerns (VERY high nitrate can be but 25 is actually low for a ceph tank). Ammonia and nitrite are the two chemicals that need monitoring and should ALWAYS show 0. Even small amounts of either (ammonia turns to nitrite then to nitrate in a cycle) can severly stress or kill an octopus.

You also need to monitor your salinity. Low salt can cause serious health problems.

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
We didn't check the nitrit and ammonia as both of those showed 0 last time. Salinity is at 1.26 at all times.

Reggie

Blue Ring
Registered
I tried giving him live mangroove crabs today. I took off it's claws and put it right next to Arthur and still Arthur won't eat. It's been three or four days now without him eating. This really doesn't look good. Should I use reverse osmosis water?
Also there is actually a hermit crab in there that's been there from day one, but Arthur just ignore him.
One more thing: he let out these long, very thin white threads. What could it be?

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
The white threads are elimination. I have seen three types, one is roughly the thickness of a brissle worm, another is a white cloud and the third the white strings you are seeing. I don't know what foods or processes produce the different types.

Yes, you should always have been using RO/DI water. You DO need to check nitrite and ammonia over anything else and keep a watch on your salt content. These DO change and are the most important parameters we check.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak