are there people that actually believe in cthulhu?

cthulhu77;95552 said:
Besides, we all know it was Edgar Allen Poe that was the true conduit to higher beings, though "Rats in the Walls" came close...

I have to admit that Poe's The Imp of the Perverse is disturbingly accurate in describing the ways I tend to get possessed by evil spirits and/or unconscious self-sabotage. But that makes me perverse more than loony (not that it precludes loony as well.)

Opcn;95452 said:
What amazes me, but probably shouldn't, is that even though Cthulhu was clearly developed as fictionpeople still believe it is true. Some say the author is lieing and plagarising, others say he just doesn't know that he was channeling the truth.

I suppose the morale of the story is "Be careful what you create"

C'thulu to Openheimer "Look mate, I don't care how impressive your little firestarter is, there's only room for one 'Death, destroyer of worlds around here'"

I think that the Great One would have liked basking in the flying neutrons...he might have even saved the poor genius as a sort of altar boy.

Now, where DID I put that soldering iron...?

cthulhu77;95552 said:
LOL...I always love it when people call me loony...though it is perfectly acceptable to worship the ghost of a dead carpenter, or think that texts written by several hundred people over a period of time are somehow "religious".

Personally the ancient Viking or Celtic religions appeal to me more;

Ale, food and sex? In copious amounts?

oooorrrrr.....

sitting on a cloud with a harp?

oorrrr....

Getting munched by a Great Old One while your brain explodes from the shock of realising that every laew of nature you knew was in fact false (actually the whole brain explody thing sounds quite fun:razz: well... more fun than sitting on clouds all day).

...after pushing Radio Free Cthulhu so hard, I think I will be the right hand man.

Opcn
Well concerning "loons" et cetera...
There is no valid way to dismiss a "chtonic religion" when compared to other religions.

Worshiping dead hover-carpenters and certain "prophets" that encounter winged horses is just as "looney" as worshiping huge immortal cephalopoid creatures of unspeakable power.

All religions are based upon FICTIONAL ACOUNTS. All religious entities are merely products of imagination.

So the act of choosing a religion is merely the act of choosing which fiction you are going to glorify as some kind of "divine truth", and which imaginary creatures you are going to regard as real.

And Opcn, you know, if I absolutely had to pick some certain religion, I would choose some kind of Cthulhu worship over any other religion.

Just because Cthulhu has tentacles, and tentacles go a long way. :tentacle2:
Even more, as a free bonus, "chtonic" worldview proposed by Cthulhu "cult" is obviously much less goofy than christianity, islam, most forms of buddhism and most "typical" gnostic traditions, it does not impose silly descriptions of universe that do not withstand critical scrutiny. Also, Cthulhu worship does not force you to follow a "moral" that lacks any basis, contains logical errors, and is unpractical and failing in every imaginable aspect.

My second best choice would be Islam (well, it offers a much goofier worldview, but, after all, it is prety agressive and straightforward, and thus more or less satisfactory), but only if Muhammad grew tentacles instead of his beard, you know, Davy Jones style...

others say he just doesn't know that he was channeling the truth.

You know, that is a typical example of so-called "religious reasoning" (Okay, I know the term is an oxymoron). Top quality religious reasoning, worthy of the best christian apologetics (and christians developed one of the best apologetic traditions around)

hmm....this whole cthulhu thing is driving me crazy. The more deeper I get into learning about it, the weirder everything gets...like in the story, "Call of Cthulhu". I read about accounts of the strange sonic noises picked up somewhat near where R'lyeh is supposed to be. Although the story was just something made up (maybe), I think it's possible that there is something like this going on.
A couple nights ago, at around twilight, I looked up to see that the planets looked to be perfectly alligned. It was the creepiest thing, but I guess Cthulhu was lazy and didn't want to come out of his house.

Oh no, he was rising...we stopped off at a pizza joint, I had a large double cheese with jalapenos and sausage...he ate the staff. Quite a good time, actually.

Yes, there was a basis for HP's theory...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back