Architeuthis: How many hectos?

Rick E

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
In researching the anatomy of the giant squid, I have found a discrepancy re- the number of hectocotyli in this species. According to Roper and Boss ("The Giant Squid", Sci. Amer. 264(4):96-105) the kraken has 2 hectocotylized arms. O'Shea's "Architeuthis Reproduction" article states that males have no hectocotyli. Can someone clarify this for me? Thank you.

I have no Idea what most of that means :bonk: but... :welcome: to the site, Im sure most of your questions will be able to be answered by the experts on this site...so Ill leave it to them

:welcome: again

Well...I THINK and that's not saying much, that it does in fact have too. That being said I will let someone else clarify this for you. And :welcome: to the site.

For what it may be worth, Nesis also reports "Both ventral arms are hectocotylized." I'm going to guess that this is more of an interpretation question than a factual one, since Steve has certainly examined enough of these beasties to know what the ventral arms in males look like, so I'm going to bet my :twocents: that there is sexual dimorphism in the 2 ventral arms, but Steve doesn't believe either is used as a hectocotylus (to transfer sperm) because he's of the opinion that spermatophores are injected into the female's flesh directly by the penis. Note that that's just a guess, though, hopefully :oshea: will clear this up shortly... I'm going to edit the subject a bit in the hope of getting his attention faster, too :biggrin2:

Oh, yeah, and :welcome: to TONMO!

Hey hey. Wlecome to TONMO! :biggrin2:

I am unsure about the frequency of squid with hectocotylii, but I do know that those that do possess a penis do indeed show sexual dmimrorphism. The scaled squid Lepidoteuthis grimaldii shows such a curious difference. Males have hooks on two arms. It is still unknown as to their actual function, whether it's for holding a female during copulation, but I always wondered if it was to show the male's fitness during courtship. larger hooks dictate a better specimen. This is only speculation though, and off on a bit of a tangent:lol: Steve's the man to ask.

I believe that, in general, squid species in which the male has a 'terminal organ' ( = dedicated sperm transfer organ or 'penis' within or protruding from the mantle cavity) are not hectocotylized. BUT I think Dr. Kubodera said something about hectocotylization in Architeuthis, I just (helpfully) can't remember what it was. So I'll point :oshea: in this direction...

Thanx for the welcome!

I'm new to blogging, so I'm still trying to figure it all out. Kinda weird, but it has a lot of potential.

Can you tell me how I was dubbed "larval mass"?

Thanks for the Welcome!

Most references i've found also indicate two hectos. It's kinda puzzling, with all the carcass strandings and sperm whale eviscerations over the centuries, that there is not quick and easy answer to this question. I'll be interested in hearing what other respondents have to say.

Thanx for responding. By the way, do you know what the significance of my assigned moniker "larval mass" is?

Rick E;107300 said:
Thanx for the welcome!

I'm new to blogging, so I'm still trying to figure it all out. Kinda weird, but it has a lot of potential.

Can you tell me how I was dubbed "larval mass"?

:welcome: Rick, I dont know nothin bout no hecto but...

0 posts on the forum you are a Lurker, 1-6 = Larval Mass, 7... Pygmy Octopus on up to Titanites for over 5000 posts

Thanx for the welcome!

Your response is much appreciated, and makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, Dr. O'Shea will be able to clarify the situation.

Thanks for replying. The answer to my question seems to be getting more complicated by the minute. I'm getting more and more curious as to What Dr. O'Shea's response will be.

Architeuthoceras;107307 said:
If you thinks it is weird now, wait till you get to be a giant gelatinous blob :roflmao:

Haha...Curious about what that status was, I looked it up last night and was pleasantly suprised...:roflmao:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back