Architeuthis again (never a dull moment in New Zealand)

I thought I would post these again since they were lost from the site

These are some of the GS pics from ~Oct 2004.

Attachments

• conv_290707.jpg
    conv_290707.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 120
  • conv_290708.jpg
    conv_290708.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 157
  • conv_290709.jpg
    conv_290709.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 148
Some more I just shrank in Photoshop

All these were of the 300Kg Archi. we got in Oct. '04.

Attachments

• conv_290716.jpg
    conv_290716.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 136
  • conv_290717.jpg
    conv_290717.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 149
  • conv_290718.jpg
    conv_290718.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 162
It's that time of the year again. The NZ Department of Conservation have just picked up an Archi off Farewell Spit, the top end of South Island (NZ) for me today. It is no coincidence that one washed ashore in Tasmania last week.

I haven't any pics to show yet, but it arrives next week and we'll post a few of them when it arrives, and of it defrosting and being preserved. This one I think we'll keep for our own collections - it's about time that I get one on display here! (I've also got to preserve a small whale next week, so it will be a bit of a challenge doing both.)

And here's the pic, courtesy of the NZ Department of Conservation. What a great bunch they are!! Nice squid too.
:smile:

Attachments

• conv_291668.jpg
    conv_291668.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 127
Wow, quite a beauty. This one looks in really good nick too.

I'll ask the inevitable question - just how long was this specimen? From the shadows it looks as if it is no record breaker, but it's hard to be sure.

Yup, the Department of Conservation (DOC) has been good to us! They are our friends.

This one is quite a bit smaller than the specimen of several years ago (as was relayed to me this morning), so it's no record breaker. Probably a good thing actually as I have limited financial resources to get it displayed (display tanks cost thousands, and this has not been budgeted for this year; I'll have to get creative!).

Steve,
Speaking of whales and squid (beaks), any chance you will have 5 min to write up the promised short story on the treasures you brought to TONMOCON? Dylan (the 4 year old who calls you his hero) finally got his this week and has been thanking your photo.

Thanks, Tony! We actually have at least one GS here in the freezer, awaiting attention (sometime after the start-of-semester madness dies down), so this venerable thread may continue.

:squidaut:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back