Archaeology & Cephalopods

Thankyou for this information Clem. This has obviously taken quite a bit of research and is very interesting. (The Classis Britannica was my dissertation at college; I've forgotten so much of this stuff and it's nice to be reminded of it).

I thought you might like to see this denarius of Sextus Pompey datable to 38-37 BC. It has a rather nice galley on the obverse (or is it reverse, always got those the wrong way round). The Scylla is somewhat degraded from your example but stilll clearly there.

Sextus Pompey Denarius

As you mention, Clem, I've just read that the Scylla was used on Sextus' coins as it denotes his control of Sicily and the straits leading to Italy from Africa, and therefore the grain supply. He apparantly was quite a thorn in Octavians side, as commander of the fleet in the Mediterranean he led a protacted piratic campaign against him. The Senate declared him a public enemy and he was executed by Mark Antony in 35BC.

Following the Battle of Actium the Romans tended to shy away from naval battles, there are very few recorded in the early Imperial period. In a way it is a pity as this means there are few depictions of sea creatures, mythological or not, on Roman coins.

Well worth a little archaeology on TONMO and digging up this old thread. :biggrin2:

Here is another stunning mosaic of Roman origin. I will try and determine a few details about it as and when I can, but at the moment have drawn a blank on details, I'm afraid. The photo was taken at the British museum in London but given the quality of mosaic, I am sure the origin is Mediterranean, and not British. It is interesting that the octopus appears to have nine arms which implies that the artist may have been working from a description as opposed to first hand knowledge.

Mosaic.JPG

(thanks Tenhand!)

If anyone is interested, here is a link to another stunning Roman mosaic. This one is from a 3rd century town house from Vila-seca in Spain. It depicts an octopus, cuttlefish and squid and over 40(!) other marine creatures. From a technical point of view Roman mosaics did not get much better than this:

MNAT - Museu Nacional Arqueològic de Tarragona

I'm not sure how accurate this this, but I photographed these ancient Greek Hoplites warriors at a re-enactment event at Detling in Kent today. The one in the middle is carrying a shield with an octopus depicted on it.

I'm not sure what the source was for the depiction but these groups are usually sticklers for detail so I'm almost sure it is accurate. Perhaps the inspiration came from a Greek vase?

Hoplites.JPG

I'm not sure how accurate this this, but I photographed these ancient Greek Hoplites warriors at a re-enactment event at Detling in Kent today. The one in the middle is carrying a shield with an octopus depicted on it.

I'm not sure what the source was for the depiction but these groups are usually sticklers for detail so I'm almost sure it is accurate. Perhaps the inspiration came from a Greek vase?

Hoplites.JPG

Phil said:
I'm not sure how accurate this this, but I photographed these ancient Greek Hoplites warriors at a re-enactment event at Detling in Kent today.
And what were you wearing?

The one in the middle is carrying a shield with an octopus depicted on it.
That looks very cool. Thanks for the picture, Phil.

Yours truly,

Clem

Thank you very much TT, and welcome. Indeed, recovering this ancient thread is tantamount to archaeology itself! I have some time off next week so I'll have a check of my old disks and see if I have any images that can be restored to this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back