Arcadio Rondaniche

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
It is with much sadness that I report the passing last week of Arcadio Rodaniche. Arcadio was an accomplished artist and marine biologist who documented many of the marine animals of his native Panama. Those of us who study cephalopods may know him for his work in collaboration with Martin Moynihan on communication in Caribbean Reef Squid and other cephalopods, but perhaps his most important paper was on his discovery of iteroparidy in Octopus chierchiae. More recently his observations and beautiful illustrations of the unusual behaviors of the Larger Pacific Striped Octopus, which he made in the 1970’s in Panama, have resurfaced describing what has to be one of the most remarkable octopuses yet studied. Still, more people know him for his paintings of subjects ranging from wild flowers to whales – and of course cephalopods. I had the privilege knowing Arcadio in the late 1970’s while I was conducting research at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institution in Panama where he was a marine scientist and more recently when we collaborated, along with Crissy Huffard and Rich Ross, on the Larger Pacific Striped Octopus publication. I always felt that it was Arcadio's great artist's eye that made him such an insightful naturalist. His talents in both areas will be missed - as I will miss a colleague and friend.

If you would like to learn more about Arcadio or view some of his art, there are several websites that feature his work. One is his online gallery at Drawings and Paintings by Arcadio Rodaniche.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back