• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

aquarium journals

I was organizing some of my old fish tanks stuff when I ran over my old
aquarium journal.I havent wrighten in it since last feb.:wink: But I was wondering who else keeps track of there tanks by using a journal.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Interesting that you should mention aquarium journals, clownfish. I keep one - began it back in 2002. It's now in book 4 and it's been so useful as reference information. I'd recommend that everyone who has a tank keep a running journal. If you have a ceph, supplement it with photos, and if you have time, make lots of notes on behavior.

So don't stop keeping your journal - you were on the right track!

Nancy

ya, after my octopus died I realy started to keep close track of everything. everytime I did a water change or tested the water I wrote it down. Since there were nothing in the tank I would record macro algea growth and live rock growth. it fun looking back and seeing all the stupid mistakes I made and then develping from there.
I agree having one is very important.

Akyu

GPO
Registered
We keep a journal of test results but hmm, I think I'm going to start recording other things as well.

But I'm getting an idea about how we can learn from other's experiences - Hey Tony, can this fly? Tonmo having some sort of either calendar/journal that people could log their journal entries? I'm thinking that since you have a database of owners and their cephs, can something like that be added?

I know for me on a rainy day, I just might be interested in seeing how someone's tank grew into their current wonderful reef/octo/cuttlefish tank.

I used to keep a journal of my cuttles behavior, what they ate, etc. It was for my research notes, but I can see how it could be good for the home aquarist too. Nowadays, I just kind of know if the water parameters are a little off and I adjust. Not enough time with everything else in my life to keep a cuttle journal...