• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aquarium Chillers

RCLasley

O. vulgaris
Registered
What is the most inexpensive way to chill a 50-60 gallon tank to below 72 degrees? I keep seeing these fans that blow on top of the water but how would that work with an octopus proof lid? The house stays between 72-75 and I am worried the water will be too warm but really don’t want to spend $250+ plus on a chiller

If you can maintain 72 consistently in the aquarium you should be fine. I would not worry about the chiller. It will speed the life cycle up though. I wouldn't worry to much.

If you can maintain 72 consistently in the aquarium you should be fine. I would not worry about the chiller. It will speed the life cycle up though. I wouldn't worry to much.
It does get fairly hot in Texas and even though the room we will have the tank in (the added on sun room) has a window in it I’m slightly concerned. If there’s an inexpensive option I would love to do it but things have added up fast just starting out

For a tank that size you could probably get away with 1/15-1/10 HP chiller. But your right for peace of mind during summer you would need a chiller. Thanks

Maybe shoot for a warmer water species then. Like briareus. It would be wise to avoid the octopus from cooler environments without proper climate control

I would say don't get an octopus if you can't afford to get it everything it needs. I mean that in the most respectful way. It may seem expensive, but that's nothing compared to what you'll have to spend feeding it, replacing equipment it breaks, keeping perfect water quality, and unexpected expenses. Additionally, you should set aside $300 in case he breaks your tank, and you have to run out and get a new one. There is no chiller that is under $250 for a 50 gallon that will work longer than a year. I have been an aquarist since I was 4 years old and can tell you that going cheap always ends up costing you more in the long run. Sometimes the animal pays the price. Please reconsider your pet choice or choose a warm water species. My last piece of advice is that you could look into used chillers on eBay or offerup. Or perhaps wait for them to go on sale at the end of the year?

I would say don't get an octopus if you can't afford to get it everything it needs. I mean that in the most respectful way. It may seem expensive, but that's nothing compared to what you'll have to spend feeding it, replacing equipment it breaks, keeping perfect water quality, and unexpected expenses. Additionally, you should set aside $300 in case he breaks your tank, and you have to run out and get a new one. There is no chiller that is under $250 for a 50 gallon that will work longer than a year. I have been an aquarist since I was 4 years old and can tell you that going cheap always ends up costing you more in the long run. Sometimes the animal pays the price. Please reconsider your pet choice or choose a warm water species. My last piece of advice is that you could look into used chillers on eBay or offerup. Or perhaps wait for them to go on sale at the end of the year?
I said I didn’t want to I didn’t say I wouldn’t ☺️ If there are alternatives I’m open and all ears if there are not then there’s no way to get around it. Thank you for your concern and will check out eBay

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back