• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Anywhere to buy dwarf cuttlefish?

What are you trying to get? You've made several posts recently about 3-4 different types of octo's and now cuttlefish all with different sized tanks.... You need to slow down, here's a list of questions that you need to answer for your self right now or soon, before you do anything else, otherwise you're going to get no where, and make a lot of mistakes.

What tank are you going to get (so far you've mentioned a 65, 34, and 300 gallon, which one are you going to get?)

And What type of Ceph do you want? (cuttlefish or octo)
-to answer this you need to answer these questions:
1) How much do you want to spend on food? If your answer is less than $30-$50 a week, you're going to want to go with something that will DEFINETLY eat frozen food, right now captive bred cuttles from thales and paradox are the only ones on the market that will do this.
and 2) What size tank are you going to have (if it is less than 55 gallons but more than 30 or so, you're going to want to go with cuttles unless you want a merc)

Have I missed anything here?

Basically, you need to go slowly with this. I've been "planning" on getting cuttlefish since I joined tonmo, which was a year ago this month, and still am at least 3 months out. I've been working on setting a tank up, doing my homework, and getting it right during that time.

I'm considerably experienced with octopuses and this is my first batch of cuttle babies I'm raising now. It IS NOT easy to raise them, and it IS NOT cheap to raise them. I've spent $90 in the past 10 days on just food for them, and half of my babies have died.

L8 2 RISE;130620 said:
What are you trying to get? You've made several posts recently about 3-4 different types of octo's and now cuttlefish all with different sized tanks.... You need to slow down, here's a list of questions that you need to answer for your self right now or soon, before you do anything else, otherwise you're going to get no where, and make a lot of mistakes.

What tank are you going to get (so far you've mentioned a 65, 34, and 300 gallon, which one are you going to get?)

And What type of Ceph do you want? (cuttlefish or octo)
-to answer this you need to answer these questions:
1) How much do you want to spend on food? If your answer is less than $30-$50 a week, you're going to want to go with something that will DEFINETLY eat frozen food, right now captive bred cuttles from thales and paradox are the only ones on the market that will do this.
and 2) What size tank are you going to have (if it is less than 55 gallons but more than 30 or so, you're going to want to go with cuttles unless you want a merc)

Have I missed anything here?

Basically, you need to go slowly with this. I've been "planning" on getting cuttlefish since I joined tonmo, which was a year ago this month, and still am at least 3 months out. I've been working on setting a tank up, doing my homework, and getting it right during that time.

I was going to buy a 300g from my LFS for $500. I decided on cuttles because I dont want anything to escape and because the dwarfs wont eat tridacna clams or soft corals.

Animal Mother;130629 said:
I'm considerably experienced with octopuses and this is my first batch of cuttle babies I'm raising now. It IS NOT easy to raise them, and it IS NOT cheap to raise them. I've spent $90 in the past 10 days on just food for them, and half of my babies have died.

I found a website that is called liveaquaria they sell a 100 pack of white shrimp for $28-which comes with a live arival gaurentee and 14day gaurentee. They also sell corals at reasonable prices.:heee:

Cephman;130653 said:
I found a website that is called liveaquaria they sell a 100 pack of white shrimp for $28-which comes with a live arival gaurentee and 14day gaurentee. They also sell corals at reasonable prices.:heee:

Make sure you read all the fine print. From Liveaquaria.com:
"White shrimp are guaranteed to arrive alive but are exempt from our extended guarantee after their arrival."

Also, for those of you with experience, at 1/4" to 1/2", how long will 100 of these last? I know baby cuttles eat a great deal more than baby octos...

Animal Mother;130629 said:

You got eggs if I am correct though? I was talking about him getting the three month olds that Thales and Paradox have for sales sometimes, or maybe it was a one time thing? That are already weened on to frozen food, I was definetly not saying they were any easier, just that you could get ones that were already weened onto frozen food.

Cephman;130653 said:

I'm a fan of LiveAquaria. I've looked at their feeder shrimp before. I've also noticed that those feeder shrimp aren't in stock very often, they aren't in stock right now. You would be better off with www.aquaculturestore.com shore shrimp if you're going with those. They are never out of stock.

Like D pointed out, there's no guarantee that 100 shrimp are going to live long enough to fed alive. Of course if the cuttles are already eating frozen foods then you can just freeze the leftovers.

There is no cheap long-term solution though.

Cephman;130654 said:
Yes. My aunt use to have one and I helped her feed the inhabitants and clean the filter and other equipment.

You need to get some experience with a salt water tank by yourself. Helping someone else take care of a tank is not the same as doing it by yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back