• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Anywhere to buy dwarf cuttlefish?

Cephman;130706 said:
Yeah, I guess that was kind of mean. I just think I am capable of doing it but you guys make it seem like it's winning the lottery.

It's not like winning the lottery, but in order to be successful, you get some hands on training with something other than cephalopods.

cuttlegirl;130707 said:
Cephman,

Do you live near an aquarium? Is it possible that your parents could take you to visit an aquarium and you could get a behind the scenes tour? I would suggest volunteering at an aquarium, but most places have an age limit (usually 16-18 years old). Also, maybe there is a local aquarium club in your area that could help answer some of your questions.

I don't know if Chesapeake,VA has an aquarium club but it sounds like a good idea.

cuttlegirl;130710 said:
Here you go...

http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php?c=1&r=52

Have you been to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center?

http://www.vmsm.com/

Yes I have. I went there a couple weeks ago. If you want come check it out. Its not as good as the Georgia aquarium but it is pretty sweet. They have an octopus vulgaris-I think-it is about 5 years old. I sware, they had it as a baby when we moved here!

I live in the Chesapeake area as well, I'm not exactly sure where you live, but If you are in the NoVA area or in DC, you want to check out WAMAS Forums, otherwise, if you're closer to Baltimore and that area, you would want to check out http://www.cmas-md.org/modules/Jig/index.php. If you are in this area, I'm sure you have heard of the National Zoo?? Go there and go to the invertebrate exhibit, they have 2 GPO's, 5 sepia officinales, tons of Nautilus, and should be getting pharaonis right about now. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some names of people you could talk to there who love to educate people about the cephs at the zoo. I may even be able to meet you there sometime as I do quite a bit of "unofficial" volunteering at the zoo and could hook you up with someone.

I don't mind your comment, I can easily see how it would seem that way. I'd just ask that once you get a tank set up and know what it requires, you try saying that again :wink:. Just kidding of course. This is not something easy, and it's not at all like winning the lottery, I enjoy my tank right now and enjoy taking care of it, but my first tank was an all out hastle, not because I didn't put much effort into it, but because I had no EXPERIENCE, I didn't know what I was doing and just completely messed it up, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A TANK UNTIL YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE. Even then, you aren't going to know everything, nor are you necessarily going to be good at it. Heck, as I've said, I've had three tanks, been in the hobby for 2 years, and have been interested in getting cuttles for the past year, and I don't consider myself good or smart at this hobby at all. In fact, I consider myself one of the least smart people in terms of salt water aquaria on tonmo, as well as just as a whole. Simple fact is, you need experience, or it's going to be a disaster, and I don't expect you to understand that, as I surely didn't, until you have had experience. I seriously doubt you are going to be able to fully comprehend the truth in what I am saying until you have EXPERIENCE. This hobby is ALL about experience in my opinion, not what you read or what you know, although that does help. Some people may argue this, but in my opinion, experience is the only way

And on the fish, you could offer it as a "treat" as I'm sure they did at Daisy Hill, but the cuttles won't necessarily think of it as a "treat" since they prefer crustacians as was already mentioned. Basically, you can't use that as a source of food, and you shouldn't necessarily even offer it to them more than a few times in there life time.

L8 2 RISE;130714 said:
I live in the Chesapeake area as well, I'm not exactly sure where you live, but If you are in the NoVA area or in DC, you want to check out WAMAS Forums, otherwise, if you're closer to Baltimore and that area, you would want to check out http://www.cmas-md.org/modules/Jig/index.php. If you are in this area, I'm sure you have heard of the National Zoo?? Go there and go to the invertebrate exhibit, they have 2 GPO's, 5 sepia officinales, tons of Nautilus, and should be getting pharaonis right about now. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some names of people you could talk to there who love to educate people about the cephs at the zoo. I may even be able to meet you there sometime as I do quite a bit of "unofficial" volunteering at the zoo and could hook you up with someone.

I don't mind your comment, I can easily see how it would seem that way. I'd just ask that once you get a tank set up and know what it requires, you try saying that again :wink:. Just kidding of course. This is not something easy, and it's not at all like winning the lottery, I enjoy my tank right now and enjoy taking care of it, but my first tank was an all out hastle, not because I didn't put much effort into it, but because I had no EXPERIENCE, I didn't know what I was doing and just completely messed it up, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A TANK UNTIL YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE. Even then, you aren't going to know everything, nor are you necessarily going to be good at it. Heck, as I've said, I've had three tanks, been in the hobby for 2 years, and have been interested in getting cuttles for the past year, and I don't consider myself good or smart at this hobby at all. In fact, I consider myself one of the least smart people in terms of salt water aquaria on tonmo, as well as just as a whole. Simple fact is, you need experience, or it's going to be a disaster, and I don't expect you to understand that, as I surely didn't, until you have had experience. I seriously doubt you are going to be able to fully comprehend the truth in what I am saying until you have EXPERIENCE. This hobby is ALL about experience in my opinion, not what you read or what you know, although that does help. Some people may argue this, but in my opinion, experience is the only way

And on the fish, you could offer it as a "treat" as I'm sure they did at Daisy Hill, but the cuttles won't necessarily think of it as a "treat" since they prefer crustacians as was already mentioned. Basically, you can't use that as a source of food, and you shouldn't necessarily even offer it to them more than a few times in there life time.

By Chesapeake I meant the city-like Virginia Beach-If you do live in the city area then me and my dad should meet with you sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back