• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Anywhere to buy dwarf cuttlefish?

Cephman;130678 said:
I'm not sure if I want to buy from them because they don't offer a full refund. But if this is where you bought your eggs then I guess I should.

They are pretty much the only source for dwarf cuttles in the USA. Not a bad thing either, considering they offer eggs and babies, and they are hobbyists who love what they do and aren't in it to make a buck. The money they make is hardly profit considering how much it costs to obtain them in the first place, then feed them until someone buys them. Their refund policy is quite fair considering they do everything they can to offer healthy specimens. They don't know what your water parameters are, how experienced and capable you are, or if you even have a proper setup to house them, etc. And you have to consider that most websites that sell cephalopods don't offer ANY kind of refund on cephs because they are so delicate.

You might find a single cuttle for sell on LiveAquaria every 6 months or so, and they're usually fully grown or close to it. Considering they only live for about a year, buying an adult isn't a very good option, especially at $149 each like LiveAquaria charges for them.

cuttlegirl;130679 said:
You need to get some experience with a salt water tank by yourself. Helping someone else take care of a tank is not the same as doing it by yourself.

Well I am pretty sure I'll be capable of taking care of dwarfs because I have done more reading than I have to about them.
I also know a TON about corals-especially xenias and acropora which are some of the ones I plan to keep.
PS. I have $2,800 to spend on all of the things I need.

Believe you me, the reading helps, but isn't everything. The first tank I set up without any prior experience was pretty much a bust, my nitrates were high, I couldn't figure out how to get them down, I rushed through it and didn't plan well. I am now on my third tank which is a 50 gallon before I move to my cuttlefish system which will be over 200 gallons. I strongly suggest you buy the 300 gallon you were talking about, and keep it as a reef tank with fish, etc. for about 6 months at least. Then sell all of the fish to your LFS or to your local reef club, and use the tank and set up as a cuttle tank, or even better, a vulgaris or cyanea (sp?). An even smarter choice would be to start with a 55 or so and just learn the ropes...

L8 2 RISE;130693 said:
Believe you me, the reading helps, but isn't everything. The first tank I set up without any prior experience was pretty much a bust, my nitrates were high, I couldn't figure out how to get them down, I rushed through it and didn't plan well. I am now on my third tank which is a 50 gallon before I move to my cuttlefish system which will be over 200 gallons. I strongly suggest you buy the 300 gallon you were talking about, and keep it as a reef tank with fish, etc. for about 6 months at least. Then sell all of the fish to your LFS or to your local reef club, and use the tank and set up as a cuttle tank, or even better, a vulgaris or cyanea (sp?). An even smarter choice would be to start with a 55 or so and just learn the ropes...

I can tell that you obviously didn't put much effort into your first tank but you are now. Can't I just keep the tank with corals for six months then buy the cuttles? I think it would be easier that way don't you think?

Cephman;130685 said:
Well I am pretty sure I'll be capable of taking care of dwarfs because I have done more reading than I have to about them.
I also know a TON about corals-especially xenias and acropora which are some of the ones I plan to keep.
PS. I have $2,800 to spend on all of the things I need.

Really, with aquarium keeping, reading just gives you the basics. Every person who has a tank has made mistakes. Because these are living creatures, things happen that you can't possible predict. Having money and reading are not enough, you have to experience taking care of a tank. I think that for you, a 55 gallon would be a great starter tank. Just learning how to mix the salt, test the water and general up-keep will prepare you for the challenge of keeping a cephalopod.

Cephman;130698 said:
blennies?

Cephalopods primarily eat crustaceans. That means that they prefer to eat shrimp and crabs. Please read some of the articles about dwarf cuttlefish - their food preferences are listed in those articles.

Fish and freshwater shrimp and crayfish are not considered good food sources for dwarf cuttlefish.

cuttlegirl;130700 said:
Cephalopods primarily eat crustaceans. That means that they prefer to eat shrimp and crabs. Please read some of the articles about dwarf cuttlefish - their food preferences are listed in those articles.

Fish and freshwater shrimp and crayfish are not considered good food sources for dwarf cuttlefish.

I've seen the people at daisy hill farm feed their cuttles cardinals, blennies, and gobies as treats occasionally. And I've read all of those articles and they say that cephs will eat fish-and not just because they are there.

Cephman;130694 said:
I can tell that you obviously didn't put much effort into your first tank but you are now. Can't I just keep the tank with corals for six months then buy the cuttles? I think it would be easier that way don't you think?

How do you know how much effort he put into it? That comment was rather rude and uncalled for. Why is it people get so offensive when we try to give them good advice? Most newbies failures come from either getting poor advice, or avoiding good advice.

There is a learning curve when it comes to keeping aquariums. Yes, in theory, everything you read should prepare you for keeping a fish tank but it's just not all that simple.

I can read about dog grooming all day long. Doesn't make me a capable groomer.

Cephman;130701 said:
I've seen the people at daisy hill farm feed their cuttles cardinals, blennies, and gobies as treats occasionally. And I've read all of those articles and they say that cephs will eat fish-and not just because they are there.

Cephalopod Care

In this article Richard Ross (from Daisy Hill Cuttlefarm) discusses why salt water fish are not an appropriate food item. If you would like a healthy cuttlefish, you should feed it live (and dead) shrimp and crabs.

Cephman;130701 said:

Cardinals, blennies, and gobies are not generally aggressive fish.

Damsels are notoriously aggressive.

Animal Mother;130702 said:
How do you know how much effort he put into it? That comment was rather rude and uncalled for. Why is it people get so offensive when we try to give them good advice? Most newbies failures come from either getting poor advice, or avoiding good advice.

There is a learning curve when it comes to keeping aquariums. Yes, in theory, everything you read should prepare you for keeping a fish tank but it's just not all that simple.

I can read about dog grooming all day long. Doesn't make me a capable groomer.

Yeah, I guess that was kind of mean. I just think I am capable of doing it but you guys make it seem like it's winning the lottery.

Cephman,

Do you live near an aquarium? Is it possible that your parents could take you to visit an aquarium and you could get a behind the scenes tour? I would suggest volunteering at an aquarium, but most places have an age limit (usually 16-18 years old). Also, maybe there is a local aquarium club in your area that could help answer some of your questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back