Anyone want to name a new genus?

OK, at long last, here it is - the new genus, all published. D, can you PM me your mailing address, please? I have something for you (other than bragging rights). :smile: Thanks again to everyone for the great suggestions!

Attachments

• conv_297915.jpg
    conv_297915.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 163
  • conv_297916.jpg
    conv_297916.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 202
Kat,
Something I have wanted to know, how does one go about getting official write ups like this for a particular species. I have wanted the detailed write up on O. hummelincki for several years but only find descriptions that could be most any octopus.

D, I had a quick look around for descriptions of hummelincki. The original description is by Adam (1936) and is in French; I don't have this but you may be able to get it (full citation below). Also can't guarantee that it will give the level of detail you're after - many original descriptions don't. But you may find this article by Burgess (1966) interesting/useful as well.

ADAM, W. 1936. Notes sur les cephalopodes. VI. Une nouvelle espece d'octopus (Octopus hummelincki) des Indes Occidentales Neerlandaises. Bulletin du Musée royal d'histoire naturelle de Belgique, 12: 1-3.

Thanks, I found the Burgess PDF earlier and stuck a reference in the species forum. It was the best thing I could find but it dealt with dead animals (some captured for the study but preserved and not observed live). Interestingly the sizes were all over the chart for both male and female but one of the major things I am looking for is a good description of the ocellus. Somewhere I saw that it had been classified and the declassified as a dwarf (and I cannot find the reference now, having looked multiple times). My renewed interest in finding the information is trying ID Monty. :roll:. What is now called O.hummelincki was originally called O.filosus. Somewhere they decided this was the same animal, I am thinking there have always been two (there is a post with a Caribbean animal that was for sale in Canada that resembles Monty). It has skin bumps (thick) and eye markings (three bumps below the eye) and the gold coloration that I have noted. There is no mention of eye spots but it was an LSF photo of a past offering. The animal we call O.hummelincki and Monty are definitely different species but without a clear description I can't tell if one is the original O.filosus and the other O.hummelincki or if the Monty animal has been identified but I can't find the description.

I got the coolest publication in the mail today :biggrin2:. THANKS KAT!! Thank you for the reference in the acknowledgements too. I just mentioned that I got to name a squid genus to the people at work so bringing this in tomorrow is especially timely (and fun!) I will have to take it along to the next family gettogether too so they can see the critter that I helped name!

Kat, If you have a .jpg that you can email (especially if it is signed but I can work on an overlay from the publication), I would like to hang it in my home office. I know you did all the work but I am totally enjoying being just a tiny part.

It is time for a toast to old Bacchus
And a party, quite lively and raucous
For ingenious Kat
With D's name (look at that!)
Has yclept the new squid Callimachus

hummm, I think I have been called worse :wink:. Having the opportunity to come up with the name for a genus makes me reflect on the interesting things that have presented themselves on TONMO, for myself as well as others.:biggrin2:

When is the next book going to be ready for review?:sagrin:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back