• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Any trusted sources for europe? (Germany or close if possible)

Jakxx

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hey there TONMO community!

I've been a long time lurker, and after a few years of hiatus I have returned and intend to be an active part again around these waters :smile:

So, I have been considering the possibility of an octopus tank for many many years now, but there have been two major problems so far. Tank size (as we know you never can go too large) and, more importantly the actual source for a possible octopus.

I live in germany and as far as I can tell, there have been close to zero sources for anything even remotely octopus related. Well, except the frozen variety of course. :hmm:

So, since setting up a 60gal tank and then ending up getting an O. Vulgaris, or maybe no octopus at all is a horrible idea of starting, I would first like to check if there are any sources available for them at all before deciding on things like equipment and tank size.

I believe I did read a thread where someone said that they recieved an octopus from spain, but even that is little more than a vague hint.

Any ideas or suggestions? :smile:

Thanks *so* much in advance already!

I believe I did read a thread where someone said that they recieved an octopus from spain, but even that is little more than a vague hint.

That was petromir and is a vulgaris. You might PM or emal him and ask for source info.

Big DJ's wife's octo :roll: is most likely an Indonesian species but I believe it came from a local aquarium shop but it would not hurt to ask.

You might be surprised at what you will find by calling the aquarium shops, many times they can special order what they don't stock but be careful to avoid the exotics. Usually a "bali" octopus will be some form of Abdopus but there is no guarantee.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction! :smile:

I actually did ask around a few aquarium shops here in my city, but we only have one that has saltwater supplys and all the guy said "What? Octopus? never getting one of those again, forget it" my guess, it got out of the tank and caused a mess...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back