• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Anxious for help...soon

Armstrong said:
And alls it does is sit on a rock all day? That doesn't sound like the typical octo I know. Something must be up. I might just go and visit the thing after going to the aquarium.

I think visiting it would be a very depressing experience. The reason it just sits on a rock I'm sure is that rock is probably the only thing in the tank. Excuse me, the 16 oz critter cage that the octopus and the rock are in is the only thing inside the tank.

Dan

DHyslop said:
I think visiting it would be a very depressing experience. The reason it just sits on a rock I'm sure is that rock is probably the only thing in the tank. Excuse me, the 16 oz critter cage that the octopus and the rock are in is the only thing inside the tank.

Dan

Your probably right, and its stressed according to the person I spoke with. I don't know if its in a critter cage..I wouldn't think so cuz he said its around 6 inches across tentacle span, but I could imagine the tank being very small for it.

Jean said:
Yikes! only two arms ..........not good. It may even have stress induced autophagy bad, bad, bad :mad:

Must I also insert that the guy said that when the octo was shipped...it wouldn't let go of the aquarists hands, so they pulled the thing off. Thats not good either...that could cause damage. I doubt that they knew what they were doing. LFS people seem to know so little about cephs.

Armstrong said:
Must I also insert that the guy said that when the octo was shipped...it wouldn't let go of the aquarists hands, so they pulled the thing off. Thats not good either...that could cause damage. I doubt that they knew what they were doing. LFS people seem to know so little about cephs.

AAAAAAAAAARGH:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

must go get a sedative now!

J

Armstrong said:
I don't know how much more enthusiastic I can be though. Iv already stated that iv studied them since I was 6 years old consistently. …this time a resume is needed to prove your status in the marine bio field in order to have any access to ANY cephalopod such as an octopus.

Armstrong said:
the octopus as well as the squid and cuttlefish are the only creatures I would have the motivation to study mentally. If that were the case, I wouldn't have any versatility in the field and it would be pointless. … Iv been going through lots of anxiety after witnessing the octopus on display at the new jersey adventure aquarium and its reminded me of things I should be doing before I become an adult.

Armstrong,

Not to sound mean or anything, but are you serious?

No offense intended, but I was reading your posts and I’m not too sure I understand your need for “help” in that sense of the word. I mean, your writing seems a bit frenetic as of late, and it seems like you’re not putting things into their proper perspective.

Some things you have written are confusing - you said you have written a book on octopus husbandry, but your post made it seem like yet you have yet to interact with a live octopus. Or have you had one as a pet before? Also, yes, if you are honestly interested in marine biology you would have a LOT of studying and classes to take before you could begin to work with any live animals. Octopus and squid would come FAR later. Invertebrate zoology is a tough course, not to mention a tough academic path.

Also, why are you sounding so fatalistic about things? You’re not even eighteen years old yet. I would suggest you relax and enjoy your life. Your path is not as set as you believe. If a fashion design school has accepted you, and that is what you want, just go and have fun. Try to enjoy it. I understand that impatience is a thing of youth, but you need to be patient. Good things tend to come to those who wait. Who knows? You may get your octo tank yet.

As far as the guy in the store is concerned, you shouldn’t worry about it. 1) ‘Arms’ and ‘legs’ are a matter of semantics when dealing with the mollusca; the appendages are derived from a completely different embryonic germ layer than our own and they are non-homologous to vertebrate arms and legs. 2) This store obviously doesn’t give two sniffs about the care of their animals. Check out the store quietly, and make sure that it’s clean and healthy. If not, call the local ASPCA and have them investigated.

You shouldn’t be so anxious about it. You needn’t give up on your dreams, but you may need to put them on hold for a while. Hopefully, things start to look up.

John

Thats what I mean...for now, until im 18, I probably won't get what I want at the moment. And that's fine, but like I said...hopefully in the future when iv financially stabled myself and everything, things should clear if I give it the time to.

Things that didn't sound clear to you? Ok, the octo husbandry packet I wrote has nothing to do with ME having any experience in owning one off-hand. This compilation is basically a packet filled with info which has been released on this site, includes other peoples experiences of owning one, and also includes all of the water parameters, water care, general info on keeping it properly, and ways to manage it to the best you can. Iv included everything iv seen so far. It hasen't been updated because I wrote a while ago, but I plan to soon. I also made sure I included any problems that may occur such as inking in a small area, adophagy disease, un-intentional suicide, tank escaping, stress conditions and so much more. The very back includes basic info about their biology...stuff I already know but I made sure I included it so that anyone who read the packet could understand were its coming from. Common diets are also included such as small mollusks. I never made this packet though to really show it off or publish it..it was only for my reference incase I was ever thinking of owning one sooner or later. It may happen.

The reason why my perception of ever getting the chance to see an octo in person and up close is because im soo educated about the fashion industry. You guys have no clue how complicated, tedius and cut-throat the fashion industry works. It takes at least 20 years to stable your own business label and make it big because my dream would be for everyone to appreciate my work....not for the money. I just fear that in 20 years or more, I won't be interested in cephs anymore. I'll be more mentally stabled into making my business better, and better for myself and creating new ideas. Fashion is a constant cycle of recipe's that must be made consistently. It's very difficult and I don't think i'll even have the time to try and get some education in the marine biology field JUST to have the opportunity to get up close with an octo when alls I have to do is know someone involved with scuba diving and the keeping of marine animals in captivity. Mabye i'll get that chance instead of having to take classes. But for 1 thing...im
definately taking marine Bio for my last elective in 12th grade. It even involves going to the beach to study living organisms in the ocean.

I really wished my aquarium had more open opportunities...it's just on a really professional policy and scale. It's such a shame that Octo's get killed everyday for the food-market. Makes you wonder why you cannot touch them without having a marine bio degree. Im glad they aren't endagered animals at least, and again...any suggestions i'll be open with.

Problem is we don't actually know how endangered octopus are. Because octopus and squid etc are late stage breeders the amount capture etc can have a huge impact on the next years population not 10 or 20 years down the track as it is with many fish. There is little time to correct any mistakes. I'm not saying that any ARE endangered (although I bet there are some) but that we don't know and that is one reason facilities are very careful with them.

Also they can be jolly hard to handle and don't respond well when stressed or injured. In our case we have a VERY long ethics approval procedure to go through to ensure that the animals are housed, fed, medicated and handled properly and it is a legal requirement under the Animal Welfare Act!

Just some ideas on why the aquariums may be reluctant to let volunteers near the octopus!!

J

Find out who the boss of the aquarium is and request a meeting in person. He will be able to see your passion and determination. A firm handshake beats 10 phone calls.

You could ask the aquarium near you if they would be interested in a ceph tank. Maybe have an old tank out the back so you can proove that you can look after one.
If they dont have a ceph they might have never had one in the past, so you might even be the most knowlagable on octo care. Perhaps see if you can be guided by a coordinator who will help show you the ropes.

This is a long shot, but its definately worth a try,

The meeting is a great tool, perhaps get your parents to organise it, maybe come along, as they are likely to have more influence, (well thats what I found. :smile:

Feelers said:
The meeting is a great tool, perhaps get your parents to organise it, maybe come along, as they are likely to have more influence, (well thats what I found. :smile:

Sooooooooo Feelers have you volunteered at Southern Encounter, Orana Park or Willowbank yet???

Just think of the opportunities, you could be pecked by a Kiwi, nibbled by a shark, chewed on by a Lion......fun fun fun! :biggrin2:

J

Feelers said:
Find out who the boss of the aquarium is and request a meeting in person. He will be able to see your passion and determination. A firm handshake beats 10 phone calls.

You could ask the aquarium near you if they would be interested in a ceph tank. Maybe have an old tank out the back so you can proove that you can look after one.
If they dont have a ceph they might have never had one in the past, so you might even be the most knowlagable on octo care. Perhaps see if you can be guided by a coordinator who will help show you the ropes.

This is a long shot, but its definately worth a try,

Ya, that's exactly what I was planning on. Since im going to the aquarium on the 29th or 30th, I figured I could just easily ask who's in charge of the volunteer work or anything related to the octopus they have in captivity there. They do have an octo, and that's all for now...however, it's a special one that I love. It's supposadely a giant pacific octo, though...it may be a full grown Vulgarus. It's about 2.5 to 3 feet arm-length if stretched to desired length, and it's currently being kept in a somewhat large tank indented in the wall to give it this "ship-window" appearance. I do believe that the aquarium may have mistaken 2 facts about this creature anyways. The first one is the species listed...saying its a giant octo is probably just advertisement. Im assuming that the aquarium is assuming that the majority of people visiting hardly know anything about cephs in general which is kinda true. I know very, very few people who even know the basics about them..other than they have 8 arms. lol.

But, to get to the point, asking for a meeting or a conversation is hopefully granted at least. Thats all I want. I was thinking I could bring everything I own related to octopus...wouldnt that be a good idea? Including the ceph-husbandry packet I compiled and created. Books and videos are limited for me simply because it's difficult to find ceph-books and videos anywere...accept online. There not the most researched related to mainstream manufacturing. Sharks are the most common. I do have some ceph-books. I even have drawings I drew when I was 7 years old copied from booklets I used to rent from the library on octo's...im an artist, so mabye it could show them something?

The meeting sounds like a great idea, and yea Jean, I did figure that touching it or getting close to it in the back areas would be restricted related to animal welfare because of the octo's delicate status and intelligence. I was just shocked that my aquarium has programs gallore were you can get close to the hippo's, swim with the 5 to 6 foot sharks in a 500,000 gallon tank...and, o ya...I cant forget...allowing you to touch stingrays and sharks in a touch-pool for free. I just didn't get it. That's why I figured that having an opportunity to do the same with the octo they owned wouldn't be the biggest issue because they have sooo many programs and volunteer work its sick. It's exciting too...but not when your under-age, lol.

I'll be bummed though if I dont have the opportunity to even speak with the aquarist(s) who's managing the octo or a boss related in the field. That would give me 0 chances, but hopefully the'll consider something.

Anymore ideas would be appreciated.

Hey jean, no I havent volunteered anywhere yet, kinda busy at the mo. I came down to dunedin for the undie 500, but unfortunately I didnt have the time to come see your aquarium and hannibal(my friends wanted to go back early):boohoo:

I was very impressed by Orana park, I'm generally not too interested in pop-animals, but I rated the park, it was awsome feeding girrafs and getting head butted.

I havent been to southern encounter, I thought it was fresh water only?

Unfortunately, the idea won't work. I called the person in charge at the aquarium for the husbandry work and such or anything related to the ceph they have there currently, and he told me that its impossible to get anything worked..im underage, and all the volunteer work they have there does NOT relate or work with the octopus. An aquarist has that job and you need some education in marine biology for it. Well, that makes sense. Dissapointing, but I guess im gonna have to keep looking. Otherwise, im going to have to wait until im about 30 years old so then i'll be much more established in everything im aiming for.

Hi Armstrong, the reason you can touch the rays and small sharks is that they're incredibly tough! We do sometimes have "touch a shark/ray" weekends but only once a kind of touch an octopus 15 mins but it was very very closely supervised.

Feelers I was kinda joking, but Orana Park isn't too bad in the way it displays its megafauna.

Southern Encounter does have a couple of Marine Tanks (one quite large) and usually has a couple of tanks set up for octopus and seahorses. They have a small touch pool as well (or they did ...I haven't been there for ages maybe I'll drop in on my way to CIAC). Course they do have heaps of freshwater stuff too. The Inanga (NZ galaxias) display was rather nice and the walkway over the eel tank is neat!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back