Another weird squid!!

Ahhhhhhhh. Nope, I think it's a photo for sure Tony (the detail is far too accurate). That 'split' fin is legitimate - it's just the fin either side, both oriented up as the animal is sinking (dead). That most definitely is a DEAD squid!

We're being conned

cuttlegirl said:
When I look at the photograph, I see a vertical line running through the squid, like it was manipulated. It is just to the left of the diver's fin.
Hello Cuttlegirl,

Ah, yes, indeed. You've a keen eye. Is there also a bit of wavy artifacting around both figures?

Cheers,
Clem

I guess my thinking on that it's an illustration is that the lighting seems very off (e.g. the diver's fin, thigh and hand; I'm definitely not buying the shadowing and lighting effect when compared to the tentacles). Looks a little like one of those old 50's sci-fi magazine covers, although now that I stare at it I guess the detail on the squid mantle itself (if nothing else) seems quite life-like (as if I've ever encountered a living squid).

That said, I definitely see that vertical line cuttlegirl is referring to, and I'd agree there's something to that from a manipulated photo standpoint. Interesting that the blue gradient doesn't seem compromised.

cuttlegirl said:
Hello Clem,

At first I thought that was turbulence but now I think it might be "cut and paste"...

Jennifer
And that would explain the blue gradient remaining in tact as well as lighting weirdness...

What squid swims around with it tentacles hanging out like that? I though it was dead from the first time I looked at it. I think the hoax is in.:twocents:

Steve O'Shea said:
... That 'split' fin is legitimate - it's just the fin either side, both oriented up as the animal is sinking (dead). ...

Just curious, but if the squid is sinking and that is causing the fins to angle upwards, why aren't the arms and tentacles also pointing upwards?

The body looks pretty "solid" as well. Partialy frozen? :confused:

not trying to be a expert here, but it does look like it's been in the water for quite some time- saw a dead squid while I was diving - no, not a large one and it looked somewhat like a old cloth, and this one has that sort of "old soaked cloth in water" look in it.

Chrono - the ignorant diver who thinks he's a smart @SS

The tentacles are weird too; my first thought was Humboldt but, although I don't know what Dosidicus tentacles look like, these look a lot like Todarodes to me... and I agree, I think the effect of giant size is achieved by the squid being much closer to the camera, a la the solifugid / 'camel spider' scare a while back.

:twocents:

As they say. . . . What the F***?!?!? is that beast there?!?!?

Whatever. I'm drunk. It looks rather sinister, but then, it actually
looks rather real, too.

But who am I to judge, eh? As I said, I'm drunk. (Just finished my
ninth "pounder" a few minutes ago. . . .)

Whatever.

Also sprach Mournblade

Tintenfisch said:
The tentacles are weird too; my first thought was Humboldt but, although I don't know what Dosidicus tentacles look like, these look a lot like Todarodes to me... and I agree, I think the effect of giant size is achieved by the squid being much closer to the camera, a la the solifugid / 'camel spider' scare a while back.

:twocents:

I found this short video of some Humbolts. About half way through you see them "flare" out the keels on their arms. Looks similar to the arms in the photo though the tail fins look wrong.

http://www.ocean-institute.org/html/vid_JumboSquid.html

And here is a photo of a "Deep sea" Todarodes that shows the arms and tentacles fairly well.

Click Here

Just thought I would try and find a couple of photos for you. :smile:

As a comparison picture, please see this image of a particularly large and dying Moroteuthis. This is genuine, the difference in quality in the two pictures really underlines the mystery image as a hoax.

(To digress, it's just struck me looking at the shape of the taper on the rear of the mantle how much the animal looks like a belemnoid. Megateuthis reached an equivalent size and must have looked a lot like this.)

Attachments

• conv_288418.jpg
    conv_288418.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 469
I´m a graphics designer and work with photoshop every day; in my eyes this is a clear photo manipulation. There is certain software that can recognize "fake" images by reading the color/light data in images and comparing it to certain patterns. Unfortunately i don´t have such software to prove my assumption. I´m a bit surprised though, i always thought GEO was a respectable source of information.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back