Another weird squid!!

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Clem, the inbox is full of messages from everywhere, drawing my attention to this, that and the other. I've even had a few messages from actual squid .... not too happy about this invasion of privacy. People do like squid, that's for sure! Comforting to know.

I keep forgetting that this is an octopus site:wink: ... we do need a colossal octopus don't wee. Phil, what can you dig up on photoshop?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Oh, yes, Jean, dead as a doornail. Funny too that the Geo article counted eight "tentacles." That's a pretty common eror of nomenclature, but the thing does appear to have only eight (or less) arms, and no obvious tentacles.

So: dead, split tail, no tentacles, and signs of abrasion of the mantle and tail. Run over by a whale, or regurgitated? Trawled? Or just spawned out?

Clem

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
.... or brought there by the photogs, dropped a 100 times until they got the desired image ....

This one gets the :thumbsdo: if that's what's happened. Have we our first ceph hoax? Plenty in fossils.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I'm sorry, is it just me or does this completely look like an illustration, not a photo? Was thinking I was missing something with this thread... that doesn't look like a photo to me.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I've attached the pic blown up 500%. Illustration?

Attachments

• conv_288408.jpg
    conv_288408.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 71

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Ahhhhhhhh. Nope, I think it's a photo for sure Tony (the detail is far too accurate). That 'split' fin is legitimate - it's just the fin either side, both oriented up as the animal is sinking (dead). That most definitely is a DEAD squid!

We're being conned

When I look at the photograph, I see a vertical line running through the squid, like it was manipulated. It is just to the left of the diver's fin.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
cuttlegirl said:
When I look at the photograph, I see a vertical line running through the squid, like it was manipulated. It is just to the left of the diver's fin.
Hello Cuttlegirl,

Ah, yes, indeed. You've a keen eye. Is there also a bit of wavy artifacting around both figures?

Cheers,
Clem

Is there also a bit of wavy artifacting around both figures?

Hello Clem,

At first I thought that was turbulence but now I think it might be "cut and paste"...

Jennifer

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I guess my thinking on that it's an illustration is that the lighting seems very off (e.g. the diver's fin, thigh and hand; I'm definitely not buying the shadowing and lighting effect when compared to the tentacles). Looks a little like one of those old 50's sci-fi magazine covers, although now that I stare at it I guess the detail on the squid mantle itself (if nothing else) seems quite life-like (as if I've ever encountered a living squid).

That said, I definitely see that vertical line cuttlegirl is referring to, and I'd agree there's something to that from a manipulated photo standpoint. Interesting that the blue gradient doesn't seem compromised.

Latest Posts