Another question! :D

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
I have another question and I know you all love my little questions. :smile: Anyways, I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States. It is near Miami, if anyone knows where that is. If anyone doesn't, its in south Florida on the East Coast near the Atlantic Ocean. Anyways, I was wondering if there is anywhere where I can go diving or boating or something to maybe catch some ceph's. I'm only 13, so money is kind of tight. It would really help me out for a free ceph. :smile:

Well I know that, but thats a free week - month. Plus thats 3 cuttle's. I'm only getting like 1 or 2 octo's. Anyways, can we get back onto the topic of if there are any in my area? :\

Octopus briareus (Caribbean reef Octopus) Octopus macropus Long Armed Octopus. Perhaps.

Don't discount the cost of feeding them. 1 Octopus can eat as much if not more than cuttles (or even several cuttles) they have voracious appetites!

J

cuttlegirl;123389 said:
I was spending $70 a week when they were less than a centimeter long. Could you get to the ocean often enough to collect your own food?

Well, I live right next to a like a little canal that I could probably catch some shrimps or bait fish or stuff like that. I could go almost every day, but I think that would kind of get boring for the octopus to only eat shrimp every day.

Jean said:
Octopus briareus (Caribbean reef Octopus) Octopus macropus Long Armed Octopus. Perhaps.

Thanks, I'm gonna do some research on them. :smile:

dude im like 5 mins from you. there are tons of places to go look for cephs. One place is south inlet park in dania beach another is red reef park a little north of that. there are ussually some vulgaris at south inlet and a few others. also at these places is were i pick up the food for my octo. there are alot of crabs and snails there as well, i go and come back with enough food for a week. also octos arn't $70 out here. they are 25-35 here. i just picked mine up for 30 at beverlys. Coral reef farm can order them for you as well or can pick them up for you on tuesdays. you just have to let them know by monday. Also if you ever want to see my setup just let me know. you can come by anytime. also if you can't make it to the beach that often i try and go once a week to stock up on food so if you need some just let me know and i will try and get some extras. maybe charge like $5 for enough to last you a week. Were in Ft laud are you? i was living in pembroke pines now i live right off the I-95 and hallandale beach blvd

Chef Reef;124277 said:
dude im like 5 mins from you. there are tons of places to go look for cephs. One place is south inlet park in dania beach another is red reef park a little north of that. there are ussually some vulgaris at south inlet and a few others. also at these places is were i pick up the food for my octo. there are alot of crabs and snails there as well, i go and come back with enough food for a week. also octos arn't $70 out here. they are 25-35 here. i just picked mine up for 30 at beverlys. Coral reef farm can order them for you as well or can pick them up for you on tuesdays. you just have to let them know by monday. Also if you ever want to see my setup just let me know. you can come by anytime. also if you can't make it to the beach that often i try and go once a week to stock up on food so if you need some just let me know and i will try and get some extras. maybe charge like $5 for enough to last you a week. Were in Ft laud are you? i was living in pembroke pines now i live right off the I-95 and hallandale beach blvd

That is very cool of you. Just had to tell ya.

I live in Southern California, and I have a wild caught bimac, which is still small (almost a 3" mantle). I get live food from the beach when it is convenient, but most of the time I feed pieces of thawed frozen shrimp (uncooked! Not freshwater shrimp) or scallop. I feed my octo only every two or three days, and one shrimp is good for at least three feedings. If there are 20 shrmip per pound, three feedings per shrimp, and I feed every other day, then a pound of shrmip will last about four months, and cost about 58 cents per week. I also get frozen scallop, which cost maybe double, so if I feed shrimp half the time, and scallop half the time, then my food cost goes up to 88 cents per week. If my octopus ever gets big enough to eat five times more than it does now, it will cost me about $4.40 per week for food. Obviously experiences vary, but for me, food costs are trivial. I keep my bimac cool (between 60 and 65 degrees) so its metabolism is slowed, and I feed at minimal levels (to try to increase life expectancy), so maybe that's why my food costs are so low (but my electricity costs are high!)

Since you are 13, I suspect that you have a lot more time, and a lot less money than I do, so I suggest that you let Chef Reef teach you what foods are easy to collect and get a few weeks worth of a variety of things. Then cut them into single serving sizes, freeze them separately on a cookie sheet in the freezer (so they won't stick together) and then transfer them to a ziploc bag. That should make it easy to feed for free.

Thanks, Joe and Chef. Joe, your way sounds very helpful. Chef, I live right off of Cypress Creek off of I-95. Once you get off of I-95 its like 3 minutes to my house lol.

TONMO is great for helping to connect people. I put out a similar call for help a few months ago when I needed some advice on when where and how to catch my own octopus. Through TONMO I found someone who lived near me (San Diego), and was an old hand at finding octopus (MarineBoy). He was kind enough to show me what to do, and I was able to catch a young bimac (Lefty) who has been doing quite well in protective custody at my house for the past three months.

Hurray for Chef Reef for being willing to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back