Another "Playing with Ollie" Pic

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi all,

Here is another view of me playing with Ollie. We play octopus games at least once a day, sometimes more, and Ollie has lots of stamina.

I discovered by accident that, while he's stuck on the front glass, he loves for me to move my finger in rhythmic way while he hangs on with a sucker or two. So I hum songs and bounce him along. I almost put him to sleep when I did this for about 20 minutes - he really liked it.

Nancy

Nancy

The size of Ollie is incredible! I didnot realize Bimacs got this large! You had mentioned you thought he was a male. Do the males generally get larger than the females? He's got to be twice the size of Ink!

Great picture!!

Carol

Hi Carol,

I don't know yet about the size of adult male bimacs, but I'm going to do some investigating. I had the figures from Mark Norman's book, and Ollie has exceeded them. He's pushing the limits of his 46 gallon tank, both by his size and his level of activity, since recently he's taken to "zooming" around mantle first, doing backflips, and behaving like a big octopus. Sometimes I wish he would go back and sit in his den!

Nancy

I think that Ollie might be a O.bimaculatus, I checked cephbase and bimaculatus can grow quite a bit larger than a bimaculoides. Your interactions with him are simply amazing and fascinating to hear about.

Hi Joel,

That's an intelligent guess, but Ollie has all the identifiying characterics of a true O. bimaculoides - unbroken chain in the false eye spot, etc.

I also don't think Ollie is the only really big bimac around - I'm looking into this because I'd like to know. I hope he doesn't get much bigger, because he's pushing the limits of his tank!

I'm glad you like the descriptions of the interactions with Ollie - it took many months before he would let me touch him or play with him. I hope to hear of other ceph keepers finding interesting ways to interact, too.

Nancy

Excellent!!!

Thats absolute quality Nancy!! Your level of interaction never ceases to amaze me!!!!!

He is a whopper!!! What size tank would be appropriate for a bimac, taking into account Ollie is a little larger than usual, do you reckon 35 pushin 40 gallons? absolute min?

I agree with Colin, deffo gotta post us a movie at some point!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back