Another Giant Squid in Newfoundland

giant squid/daily planet

i was watcing an upcomming preview of the tv show daily planet where they had found 2 giant squid in NFLD the show was to have aired around o1 17 05, but i missed it,does anyone have any info about this? EX:where in NFLD? thanks..

:welcome: Lortmen (and what does this stand for?).

I'm a little starved for info at this end too, but the most revealing info has probably been posted by the Right Honourable Regal-footed Sir Dr Ummmm. (aka Ummm) - the TV segment from the Discovery piece.

From what I've seen thus far I think we're talking a mature(ish) male and a submature female (although it has been referred to as 'mature' in the press).

There's also talk of warmer waters around Newfoundland, warmer than usual and not really experienced since the 60's (the last time that there was a spate of Architeuthis strandings in the area). I'm not so concerned about water temperature - what really interests me is where the convergence between a warm and relatively colder mass of water lay (to me this is all about migration to areas of current convergence). I have spoken to quite a number of Canadian reporters, and none has given a damn about fact ... they want to get their story across in the minimal amount of words, in the least amount of time (one constantly referring to 'deadlines' - aka he was lazy). I actually refused a couple of interviews, as sensationalism was their obvious intent (science can be difficult when they're not prepared to grasp or consider basics - all to date have wanted to focus on 'global warming', or have me disagree with theories advocated by those who know more of local oceanography; I refused to be drawn into such discussion/debate).

You'll find throughout the TONMO site numerous references to austral summer and winter recurring capture (= northern winter & summer respectively). Winter occurence (northern hemisphere) should come as NO surprise. What WILL surprise me is if an Architeuthis 'strands' or is caught in a net close to coast ANYWHERE during any month between late March and very early June, or between late September and very early December (possibly late November).

Steve O'Shea said:
I have spoken to quite a number of Canadian reporters, and none has given a damn about fact ... they want to get their story across in the minimal amount of words, in the least amount of time (one constantly referring to 'deadlines' - aka he was lazy). I actually refused a couple of interviews, as sensationalism was their obvious intent (science can be difficult when they're not prepared to grasp or consider basics - all to date have wanted to focus on 'global warming', or have me disagree with theories advocated by those who know more of local oceanography; I refused to be drawn into such discussion/debate).

This seems to be true of any countries reporters. Sensationalism sells. Living here in Canada, there seems to be an increase of scandals/crimes/"big" stories, especialy when they are talking about any level of Government.
Qudos to you for realising their intent (though I am sure you have a lot of practice), and for not speaking over the top of local scientists.

Anyway, I guess one silver lining to this story, is that they are reporting it. There is a large deficit of any articles regarding any scientific dicipline in the media. Canadian at least.

i digress but... a squid has a penis?...or is that the modified tentacle thing people discuss...im not knowledgable on squid - do they 'break off' the "arm-nob" or what?

It does (have a penis); some have a modified arm (or several arms), called a hectocotylus, for transfer of packets of sperm (spermatophores) from the male to the female (although not all squid have a hectocotylus; some use the penis directly to transfer sperm from the male to female - these are usually deep-sea species).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back