• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Anatomy question

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Unlike their molluscan relatives, cephalopods have "piping" (my phrase) vs an open system. You may want to scan YouTube for a squid dissection to follow along with after you find one to examine.

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
I suppose I was envisioning more along the lines of how you described the squid mantle—open on all sides. May still give the supermarket a visit, now that I know what to look for.
I suspect the supermarket supply of octopus will be ready to cook...Ready to cook means that the mantle has been emptied, as it is best to remove the interior organs as soon as the octopus is caught. I am a bit sorry that I know this...

Thanks. That saved me a needless expense.
I have eaten octopus a few time in the past, but since finding TONMO, I regret it. I am currently reading Katherine Courage’s book and find it interesting, but would have preferred she’d have omitted the octopus RECIPES!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I was not crazy about that book. Reread the Cousteau book, it is timeless and full of interesting observations.

I was not crazy about that book. Reread the Cousteau book, it is timeless and full of interesting observations.
I read Cousteau first. I’m just plugging away through Courage before I begin on Octopus Minds and the two Hanlon books. Ms Courage seems to alternate between too little information and way too much (as in the detailed account in the “Skin” chapter). My eyes glazed over.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
@George Sims Cute podcast telling the story of the Octopus MBARI observes gestating eggs for 4 years (cameo appearance by Sy Montgomery). It gets a little soapy but lots of observational info.

@George Sims Cute podcast telling the story of the Octopus MBARI observes gestating eggs for 4 years (cameo appearance by Sy Montgomery). It gets a little soapy but lots of observational info.
Well, that WAS fun. I don’t hear well, so I read the transcript. Had to imagine the squeaky chair and the orchestra, but it was good. Thanks.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
A bit silly but they gave a lot of good facts. I think they used the end bit to actually filter out the chair noise because you don't hear it. It was delightful to hear Sy Montgomery mostly because I recognized her voice (somewhat distinctive) before they identified her. I tend to roll my eyes whenever the media mentions the "sacrifice" octos make to bring their offspring into the world, it is not like they have a choice.

Regarding the original question, I have dissected bimacs before and can say that the cartilaginous casing is notable. It takes a good pair of sharp dissection scissors with a good squeeze to cut through it. It's not uniform in thickness though. The thickest part is between the eyes above the brain, while the casing above the eyes is much more pliable, I'd say equivalent to cutting through a tendon in your chicken. I hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzh2020

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak