an ID on new octo please...

DSC02650.jpg

not quite sure its a Vulgaris, he has horns that come and go and is mostly out during the day. he eats readily from tongs and is very friendly, he has about a 1-1/4" mantle and about 6" legs, mostly a beige colour until spooked or when eating. VERY ACTIVE when light comes on for about 10 minutes then settles down, prefers to sleep in the bio material. and likes to mimic you, if you lean into the tank he leans into you if you back away he does the same, go figure, lol I have a few of these guys all the same at my facility this one i brought home to get ID'ed I will try and get better pics as well.
I am uploading a video tonight so i can post it here too.

Mark,

I don't see much distinguishing it... no eyespots, right? It seems to keep one arm curled, so I'm guessing it's a male, and it doesn't look to me like it has enough webbing to be briareus.

I like watching it squeeze at the end there, though!

Upvote 0
Aqua Tech;114232 said:
I will try and get better pics and video. it has faint eyespots

Mark,

What color eyespots? If you can get a good enough view to describe the patterns in the eyespots, even better.

I'm guessing hummelincki if the eyespots look right, but don't hold me to that until some of the hummelincki owners speak up...

Upvote 0
The basic build, thick head (below the eyes), relatively short arms to mantle ratio that are thick at the head and taper quickly but the coloring is very different from Octane's. Octane almost always shows a pinkish orange underside (it can be white) and his suckers are lined with a deep blue (the actinics may bring this out more). He can show that light orangish brown but I rarely see him dressed out in it. You might try putting a very dark background on one end of the tank and see if he turns almost black. You might also try putting a well sculptured piece of LR in the tank and see if it brings out spikes when he visits, a lively crab should bring out the eyespots so that you can get a better idea of what they look like.

Upvote 0
Another suggestion, if you spook it (don't scare the absolute crap out of it or anything) it should flare up and turn bright white and shine very bright blue eyespots if it is a hummelincki. No overlooking that. At least that's my experience with that species.

Upvote 0
actually he does get the spikes when excite, and he does turn a darker colour when near anything such as LR and filter sponge, he has a white underside most of the time, and he is very skittish and inks at sudden scares. eyespots are more like shadows in the body, and no sign of blue rings on suckers.

Mark,

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back