Ammonite sculpture finished

modelnut

O. vulgaris
Registered
The sculpting is finished. Now I have to decide what colors to paint the beast.

At 35th scale, the shell is 3.5 feet deep, the body outside of the shell is 4 feet 11 inches and the length overall is 7.5 feet. Imagine a diver coming across that in the dark! (And this is not the largest shell ever found for an ammonite. The largest so far is 7 feet across.)

Attachments

• Ammonite Collage.jpg
    Ammonite Collage.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 524
My only painting comes from painting minatures for war-gaming or house painting, neither of which is much help.
All I can suggest is work on a base coat first. Minatures like a mat black, with glossy acrylic top coats this allows slightly less paint to be used and highlights to be dry brushed on while keeping features.
Houses typically like a base coat in a colour very close to the original without needing exact matches.
I've also done a lot of research on body painting and that is all about "single coat, get it right". This only works because it's a temporary coating.

What is the sculpture made from? As that could affect what paints can be used or not used as the case may be. Also are you planning on doing the colours realistic, exaggerated or some fantastical colour set?

The sculpture is made from a two-part resin putty, Magic Sculpt. It's great stuff! It's an easy material for sculpting as there is no baking required like there is with Sculpey.

It's covered with Krylon grey primer. I just have to finally paint it. Which I hope to do today.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back