Ammonite ID requests

mshiel

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I have two ammonite fossils that I got at a generic gift shop - they could be from anywhere in the world. The proprieter guessed Madagascar but admitted that he didn't really know. If anyone could help me with ID's for them and regions that they came from I would be very grateful. Here are links to photos of the fossils:

these first two are of the same fossil - first is polished inside, second is the outside.

amm1.jpg by M Shields
amm1outside.jpg by M Shields

This is the inside of a section of the other specimen

amm2.jpg by M Shields

Thanks very much,
Martin Shields

:welcome: to TONMO

I am thinking your name is familiar; are you on the ceph email list?

I haven't a clue on the ID, I'm afraid, but hopefully Phil, Kevin, and the other fossil gurus will be by shortly... If there is any part of the outside suture lines visible on the second fossil (or if you have the other half of the first one), a picture of that might be helpful as well.

Not on the email list - am new to the site. But thanks for the welcome.

The outside of the second one is just solid stone - you can't see any contours of the shell.

Martin

OK, thanks for taking a look.
From what you can see, is it possible to assign the correct order, suborder or even family?

Thanks again for your time!

Martin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back