Amazing new research: nautilus embryology and development

heh! Monty I'm heartbroken! :smile:

I am actually very bad at picking who's what online. I'm also always so surprised by people's photos - no one ever looks how I imagine they do!

robyn;99626 said:
heh! Monty I'm heartbroken! :smile:

I am actually very bad at picking who's what online. I'm also always so surprised by people's photos - no one ever looks how I imagine they do!

Well, I'm not ruling it out on principle, I'm just not expecting to be looking any time soon... of course, I do appreciate the ego reinforcement :biggrin2: but my point was mostly that I tend to value platonic friendships and professional relationships and not want to mess them up by all emotional mess of romantic possibilities... I certainly didn't mean to single you out for heartbreak :oops:

edit: I realized after this late-night post that another thing I didn't say explicitly is that it's interesting that I have a strong desire to find out who people are online; I wonder if that's a an evolutionary social thing, and we all want to know more about who we're interacting with, so that we can be more effective at relating to them, know if they're potential mates, and so forth.

dwhatley;99291 said:
Tintenfisch,
I wonder if imperfect regeneration is not more the norm than the oddity, .

I seem to recall once hearing a theory that this is why more 'highly evolved' [yes I know it's a stupid concept, dont' all jump on me at once :wink:] and longer lived species such as mammals tend to have far less regenerative capability than short lived 'simple' creatures.

The idea being that with a lifespan of about a year and a whole bunch of back up limbs it doesn't matter so much to an octopus if a limb regeneration goes awry. It just has to make it to the end of the year to reproduce. Whereas for a human having a wound trigger some kind of runaway growth could prove a significant problem for quite some time to come, and seriously reduce your chance of successfully reproducing ("When I said my date was all hands, I was NOT using a metaphor!").

Especially relevant when you consider that cancer is basically uncontrolled growth of this sort, again: "Excellent news Mr Octopus it's cancer and will kill you in eight months, so no worries" vs "I'm sorry Mr Sapiens, it's cancer and will kill you in eight months, doesn't life suck".

So when I see articles about people reseraching animal regeneration in hopes of applying it to humans Tintenfisch's mutated tentacle picture is going to stick in my mind.

I think I read/heard somewhere recently that the ability to regenerate lost limbs in vertebrates was controlled by a single on/off genetic switch... (a quick search revealed a discussion of this here ; was the discussion I'm thinking of somewhere else on TONMO maybe? :oops:) It talked about lizards regrowing tails, and mentioned that in embryonic chickens in the lab, where this genetic switch had been flipped, severed wings would regrow. (Shudder - sometimes I'm very glad I study dead things!)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back