• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

am I to busy?

aristocat

Cuttlefish
Registered
hello everyone. I was wondering. I am very busy in the winter would a cuttlefish survive without attention until late affternoon? could I flood feed it while I'm away on one week vacations?:read:

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
By flood feed it, do you mean like put a ton of food in it for like a week so it doesn't go hungry? I'm not sure if that would work, but I really dunno.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
I know there has been some problem with flood feeding bandensis but I don't remember if it's adults or only juveniles. Here's one thread:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/4667/

In general, questions like this often have the answer "if it sounds like a risky idea, we don't recommend you do it." Is it theoretically possible for a cuttle to live in a tank for a week? Sure. Is it responsible pet ownership? Not really. What if there is a blackout? A pump failure? A leak? Some large thing on your live rock dies and a water change is needed?

I'd say you should plan to find a knowledgeable cuttle-sitter to check in on your pet once a day, or similar.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
this is my personal opinion!!!! I find that if I have to ask "am I too busy" then I am!!!! This is why I don't have tanks at home at the moment.

J