• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Aiptasia management in cold water

ngdo

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Looking for input on dealing with aiptasia breakouts in a cold tank.

Our 120G is currently kept at 65 degrees and is home to a single nautilus and a normal cleanup crew (various snails, hermits, brittle stars). We're getting an aiptasia boom however. I've added extra peppermints which are not getting the job done. I pulled them out spent $200 on a population of berghias which don't seem to be doing anything before.

With warmer tanks, I've never had a problem dealing with the aiptasias with either berghia or peppermints. I'm not sure if the cooler temperatures simply inhibit appetite while somehow letting the aiptasias flourish.

What does everyone else use? Should I just be more patient? :wink:

my tanks were always heated, but I used to boil fresh water and use a length of air hose attached to a hard plastic tube and siphon the boiling water through and burn them off, yes it was slow but I got rid of them all. To make sure I didn't change the salinity too much I used to turn off the fresh water auto top off system.

You can inject them with vinegar too. Just be sure to hold the syring over the mouth and watch the aptaisia. It will "puff" 3 times. By holding the syring over the mouth your keeping the pest from releasing more into the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back