AFO Premiere (Colossal Squid/Sperm Whale)

Re: I saw this!

Steve O'Shea said:
krin said:
And Steve, please go and get your glasses adjusted! It is driving me spare!!!!

:shock: What's wrong with my glasses? Nobody likes my glasses!! Everyone is telling me to get my glasses fixed/changed. Why don't people like my glasses?? My favourite glasses have HUGE lenses, near-twice the size of my current ones (that are only ~ 10 years old, frame wise)!

I like my glasses!

The glasses are fine but they keep slipping down your nose and you keep pushing them up - do you realise you are doing that? Most of the time you seem to have them perched on the end of your nose! My father was an optical dispenser so I know your glasses shouldn't keep falling down your face (unless you don't have enough nose..) They just need adjusting, not changing!

KRin

Jean said:
down to good ol' Portobello Dunedin NZ

That's a new one to me, unless it is being returned to the Natural History Unit. There's a possibility it could be going to one establishment in the South Island, but I suppose they're still negotiating. It does need a little TLC after being towed through the oceans for a few days - it doesn't look as sensational as it once did. Anyone got a spare 20K?

Hmmmmm. Re my nose - the problem is that I'm getting 'on', and am both both short- and long-sighted, so do wear them down so I can tilt the head and read anything I want, then see away away ... a long way away. I don't like bifocals ... too hard to walk with and do # 1's; got rid of them many years ago. It's one of the reasons I tend to throw my face up close to a dead animal, to see it properly (most people think I'm licking the squid, or whispering sweet nothings in its statocyst).

Oh to be 20 again!

8)

Men can't multitask, you know that M; I'm glad I wasn't doing # 1's at the same time ... they lock you up for such things!

Real big!!

download.php

wow thts like 15-20cm, so a fully-grown one should be double the size, hey i just had a thought what if architeuthis, mesonychoteuthis, galiteuthis... grew as they got older, not spotting to grow like some fish...would that be possible?

Steve O'Shea said:
Jean said:
down to good ol' Portobello Dunedin NZ

Hmmmmm. Re my nose - the problem is that I'm getting 'on', and am both both short- and long-sighted, so do wear them down so I can tilt the head and read anything I want, then see away away ... a long way away. I don't like bifocals ... too hard to walk with and do # 1's; got rid of them many years ago. It's one of the reasons I tend to throw my face up close to a dead animal, to see it properly (most people think I'm licking the squid, or whispering sweet nothings in its statocyst).

Oh to be 20 again!

I understand about bi-tri focals - I'm an artist and find myself having trouble finding a close focus point to thread a needle.

What's wrong with whispering sweet nothing to a squid? Licking one might be taking it too far...

I was an awful person when I was 20 - I was shy I would flee from shops if the anyone asked me if I wanted any help.

KRin

aye.. thts the web i went to, im assumaing the total length 7-8metres long but im not sure i wanna know, cuz im working on a science project called monsters of the deeps im writing about mesonychoteuthis architeuthis galiteuthis, sperm whale and the oarfish.

The late, great Kir Nesis was not one to exaggerate, and must have had very good reason to cite a possible mantle length of 2.7m for Galiteuthis phyllura. Not only would such a monstrous mantle render this the 'largest species of Galiteuthis', but it would give the species a mantle that was considerably longer than that of Architeuthis , and marginally longer (0.2m) than the submature Colossal Squid (Mesonychoteuthis) we reported last year.

What amazes me is that the adult has never made the press (that I am aware of). Even if Galiteuthis lacks hooks on the arms it would still be a most frightening squid to bump into in the abyss.

Hi!

Xcuse me sir but somebody refered me to u about caring for squid (kinda). They said u had alot of problems can u tell me about it? I am trying to raise some squid of my own and I have no clue how. Got any pointers or warnings? Im really new to this sort of thing. Thx a million! :mrgreen:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back