• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Advice on handling Tuvalu

Pain is ephemeral. I regret nothing :smile:

Seriously, don't be too afraid to play with your octopus, just don't let it take your fingers too close to its mouth.

I don't know if I ever posted it on this site, but a few years back I was in contact with a South African surgeon who was stabbed in the finger by a stomatopod. He developed an infection that attacked his cartilage. None of the antibiotics could touch it and they ended up amputating the finger before it ate its way to the rest of the hand. There are some strange bacteria (and other things) living in the sea and it is not wise to willingly let them through your skin. This is one of the reasons I frequently pipe up when someone talks about inviting a bite.

Roy

Neogonodactylus;99884 said:
I don't know if I ever posted it on this site, but a few years back I was in contact with a South African surgeon who was stabbed in the finger by a stomatopod. He developed an infection that attacked his cartilage. None of the antibiotics could touch it and they ended up amputating the finger before it ate its way to the rest of the hand. There are some strange bacteria (and other things) living in the sea and it is not wise to willingly let them through your skin. This is one of the reasons I frequently pipe up when someone talks about inviting a bite.

Roy

And I believe you are well educated enough in the subject to give advice on it. As for the bacterial infections causing enough damage to warrant amputation, that happens from dog and cat bites too, but from the bacteria in their mouths. I do not wish to invite any opportunity to have my digits rot and get cut off.

Dan, I'll never stop playing with her. Except when she swells up and turns white and acts like some punk going "Come on! Let's get it on! Bring it!" She has some serious attitude sometimes. At this point, I'm just not going to consider allowing her to actually climb into my hand, but instead keep her at arms length, as Dwhatley suggested.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back