• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Acclimating my new Oc!!!!!!!

Just started acclimating my new oc. Found a LFS that gets them in quite reguarly. Oh what luck I dont have to get them online. they couldnt tell me what species he was, but is from the atlantic. It ate while I was there and doesnt look to have a hard time breathing, also very active. It is a little touchy though, In the bucket right now with a drip and anytime I stick my hand near the water It flashes its red.. God I love it! comments please and I will keep you posted after a few hours of acclimation!!!!

:welcome: Gratz on your new Octo!

Tidepool Geek did a really good intro to octos thread a few days ago-so I will just rip his off. :wink:

Still in planning stages

Have a great time with him! Read everything you can -you will get the most out of him and it will save you alot of frustration.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com :welcome:

How is your new octopus doing? Hope the acclimation went well. We're all looking forward to pics.

Please tell us more about your tank, too.

Nancy

acclimation went well (thanks for the comments). Everything went perfect, couldnt have ask for a better acclimation. New oc is doing great, has already eaten :smile: I will get pics up as soon as i can get some film, take the pics, and get them developed so prob later in the week. Tank is 55g with 20g sump,skimmer,heater,macro,various inverts. CF lighting, bout 50 pounds of live sand and 60 lbs live rock. the tank is acrylic and drilled so nothing can get out. If there is anything specific you would like to know then just ask, i will be happy to answer any ?'s.

Dan

Welcome to Tonmo! Yep, that is the danger of keeping cephs...they are the most fantastic creatures, and soon you will be obsessed by them.

Looking forward to the pics,
greg

Jemhidiah said:
acclimation went well (thanks for the comments). Everything went perfect, couldnt have ask for a better acclimation. New oc is doing great, has already eaten :smile: I will get pics up as soon as i can get some film, take the pics, and get them developed so prob later in the week. Tank is 55g with 20g sump,skimmer,heater,macro,various inverts. CF lighting, bout 50 pounds of live sand and 60 lbs live rock. the tank is acrylic and drilled so nothing can get out. If there is anything specific you would like to know then just ask, i will be happy to answer any ?'s.

Dan

How big is it?

If it came from the atlantic, you might have a Vulgaris.

I'd like to add your octo to the List of Our Octopuses at the top of this forum, but it would be nice to enter its name - does your octo have a name yet? It's a tradition around here to welcome your octo, too!

What are you using for food? Are you near the coast and can catch your own?

Nancy

Im trying to ID it right now. It has 5 horn looking things around each eye. Pale whiteish,yellow color rusty orange/brown when it changes colors. right now there are hermit crabs, snails, and damsels. In there with it. Yes I do live on the coast of NC so I can go catch fiddler crabs and shrimp. Id say when it is swimming and all stretched out it is about 3 1/2 inches long from top of mantle to tip of longest tentacle. I will get some pics up as soon as possible. Any ideas on species or other comments would be appreciated Also if anybody can direct me to some photos of atlantic species!

Hello and :welcome: How big is your octopus in relation to the damsels? There may be a problem with the damsels bothering the octo or the octo eating the damsels... other than that, great to have another octopus around Tonmo!

damsels are small comparred to the oc, but I was gonna take them back to the LFS before I got the OC. now I want the oc to eat them if it will. so thats not a prob

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back