[Octopus]: Abdopus

Snake

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
It's been a week and my new little octo made it so now is as good a time as any to get the journal going. I'm fairly confident (she?) is in the Abdopus genus. I have only been able to get her to eat once and she took some IQF clam strip. I'm going to try and get her some fiddler crabs this afternoon.

She has become accustom to me and no longer hides if I come up to the tank. I'm still worried about her though because she only comes out and moves around on one piece of glass at one the end of the aquarium. She also refuses to go into the rock where there are plenty of caves for her to den in. Instead she digs a hole in the corner and then covers herself with sand. Has anyone else obsevered this behavior? The last picture is of her hiding

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    915.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 89
Got her to take a red claw crab this morning! She seems alert and happy but still only stays on the glass :/. I've added a large faux conch shell near where she likes to bury herself. Hopefully she will move into it but for now she isn't a fan of it being so close to her octo hole. It's funny a few months ago I had a pet bobbit worm that refused to hide and stayed out all the time now I have a octopus that hides like a bobbit worm. I'm debateing lowering the temp over the next few days. It's at 78 right now but wanted to know what some more experience keepers have to say first.

Below is a pic of her above her corner with the freshly eaten crab below.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    933.8 KB · Views: 85
She finally made her way into the rock while I was at work. I couldn't locate where she was at first but after about a minute of searching she stuck an arm out towards me from the center of the rock as if to say here I am!

she was still out moving across the glass when I left for work yesterday at 7am. When I got home she had returned to her "burrow" in the corner of the tank. She still woke up right around 10pm which seems to be normal for her. She has been most active from 10pm-10am.

Her only activity still only consist of moving from one side of the tank to the other along the the glass. I will try and catch a video of it tonight. I'm worried she's doing this out of stress but all of my water parameters are in check. Could the reflection in the glass be throwing her off? I'm gong to read through the forums looking for enrichment ideas.

The tank is only a 40g breeder, I know that's small but her mantel is only 2.5-3 inches long at the moment. I have a 125 I can move her into when she gets a little bigger. I added some fake plants and that seemed to help her not be so afraid of the rock. She now has a den in the rock she returns to every night! When she comes out she still goes straight to her favorite corner at the front of the tank and dances. She is eating like crazy now. Mostly on red claw crabs. She still has yet to touch the emerald crabs and clean up crew. I'm wondering if I should take the crabs out. I don't want them to get opertunistic and try a taste of octopus. What do y'all think?

Are you worried about the emerald crabs? It these are the typical Caribbean mithrax, they are not a concern for the octopuses safety. They are primarily algae consumers and not match for even a weak octopus.

Yeah the emeralds. Normally I wouldn't be, buuut the two I have in there are the largest I have ever seen in the 10 plus years I have worked a fish room. That being said I'm probably just over protective of my little octo!

She seems to be strictly nocturnal. She even waits at the edge of the rock if I get home late and the light isn't off yet. (need to get it on a timer) in the short amount of time I've had her she has already climbed to the top of my all time favorite "fish" I have had the joy of keeping!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back