• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Abdopus spermatophore transfer

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
My Abdopus sp.#5's have been mating up a storm giving me a chance to photograph some of the more intimate details. In this shot the male is out of view (above right), but you can see two of his arms coming into view. One has the female by the posterior mantle stabilizing his grip on her. The other, the hectocotylus comes in behind her head, wraps under her eyes and inserts into her mantle cavity. About 10 seconds earlier I watched the male transfer a spermatophore to the base of the hectocotylus. In this frame the spermatophore is moving down the hectocotylus and is entering the female's mantle cavity. It got hung up at this point for a few seconds, entered her cavity and then was quickly ejected. Mating lasted for about 10 minutes and at least three spematophores were passed to the female.

Attachments

• conv_304477.jpg
    conv_304477.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 152
VERY different than the mating of my two briareaus where the female was held from behind and kept covered and in place with arms and webbing (assuming to avoid predation). How many body lengths away is the male?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back